Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Baby Plumeria

puglvr1
9 years ago

I bought this small baby Plumeria at a garage sale...does anyone know if this should get full FL sun or would filtered sun in a shaded location? Its a small 6" pot.

Its my first Plumeria so I'm clueless :o)

Any tips or help growing this is appreciated, thanks!!

Comments (22)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Full sun for the best flowers. It will get rust on the leaves and go deciduous at least once a year. Don't repot it or put it in the ground until you see roots out the bottom of that little green pot.

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Go to plumeria 101, it has all the info you need. If you can keep the leaves with the rust picked up to keep the spores from showing up early the following year. It really doesn't hurt the plant it just looks bad. :o)

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy

Mine is in full sun, I got a small cutting from Hawaii, has red flowers.

This one is also in full sun and I got it from Walli, his is a beautiful and giant white one.

This one is in a semi shade location still in a pot, I got it from Tom and his plumerias are a beautiful pink.

Silvia

• laura1
    9 years ago

good luck on your plumeria. A first I thought you got a seedling which can be iffy for nice flowers. but it does look like you got a rooted cutting.

• stuartwanda
    9 years ago

They don't like freezing temps. So if you get freezing temps I would pot it up so you can move to cover.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone!! I really appreciate all your help and great advise :o)

Silvia, Wow!! Very nice plumerias you have there, that one from Hawaii is HUGE!! Thanks for sharing!!

Also, are these similar to Jades as far as letting it dry out before watering as opposed to keeping it on the moist side?

• whgille
    9 years ago

Nancy, my plumerias get water from the sprinkles 2 times a week or when it rains. I think that you got it right comparing them to the jade. They grow in Phoenix so you get the idea.

I just saw them in combination with other plants in a garden that I visited recently

Silvia

• starryrider
    9 years ago

Squirrels just ate the buds off of mine.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a pretty picture Silvia :o)

I'm so sorry starryrider...Deer ate all my Rose flowers a few weeks ago...

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Hi N,

You will have to protect it from freezing where you live or it will die, so you'll have to keep potting up until you can't do it anymore, bringing it in when necessary. Here's a picture I shot a week ago.

Tom

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhhh LOVE that color Tom!! Beautiful! I haven't seen that color around here, Thanks for heads up about the freeze :o)...will definitely protect them if they survive till winter,lol

• User
    9 years ago

Tom, that's the one Silvia gave us.......have yellow, white, and red......love them!

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Hi M, you and Silvia and all the others that got a stick two years ago need to know this isn't a NOID, it is a Jeannie Moragne ;-)

Tom

• tomncath
    9 years ago

N, they are blooming now but once done I'll send you a stick if you like...Carol has been on the list for two years simply because I have not cut it back since the time sticks went to Silvia's, but the tree is over due for a trim this fall.

Tom

• whgille
    9 years ago

Tom, I remember that you sent the sticks with Maxine, I have one growing in the pot. I originally put it in the front of the house but then we got cold and wasn't doing that well till I put it in the pot. The tall one that I have right now is from Hawaii, don't remember the variety.

Silvia

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tom!!! I would love a stick after its done blooming...sent you an email (not sure if you got it?) Appreciate it!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tom, I just tried responding to your email but it won't let me respond...it says this on the bottom of the email

"(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)"

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the correct settings to allow email replies.

Carol

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carol, Yup, I have mine checked :o)...

• tomncath
    9 years ago

I never changed my settings, something is amiss....

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Okay, I have no idea how my settings were changed to "none" for sending email but it did happen. Try again N.

Tom

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Tom,

I think that GardenWeb changed the Member Profile template/framework a year or two ago and lots of us were unaware. My settings weren't right, either. And it took me awhile to figure out the right combo. When I finally did, I created that little screenshot to help others. Hope you're getting your email now. :)

EDIT: You got my curiosity up. I checked and the Member Profile page has changed since I last took that screen shot.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 22:50