Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growgrow

Rollinia Mucosa (Biriba)

growgrow
15 years ago

About 3 weeks ago I was given ripe fruit of Rollinia (Snot apple, Biriba). My family ate half of it (the other half we shared), it was absolutely delicious. It tasted like lemon meringue pie!!! YUM YUM YUM!

The fruit was huge, the half that we ate was over 3lb.

The tree is a fast grower and cold sensitive.

Anyway, I saved and planted bunch of seeds and they are starting to sprout now, so I have some to share with my friends here on GW.

My understanding is, that this particular rollinia is somewhat rare and hard to come by.

I am trying to squeeze yet another tree in our landscape :-)

If anybody is interested, let me know (Lisa, Treefrog, and others).

Veronika

For more informations go to:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/biriba.html

Comments (21)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

"Snot apple"!?!?! Seriously??? ROTFLMAO!
    We grow some interesting things but this has the best name EVER!

I'm so sorry I can't grow it in zone 9 or I would be begging for a seedling. I'm going to have to hit some of the local markets and see if I can find one of these to try. It looks terrible but sounds delicious.

Thanks for posting the photo!

Kate

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Yes Veronika... I will love to give it a try..........

I still got your bat :)

D`Ann

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

I believe I have the same tree. I was told it was one of the most delicious trop fruits by Jim and Sally L., Long time TampaBay Area Rare Fruits Members and local gold mines of info. They said it tasted like lemon custard.

Mine has been in the ground 3 years and I am expecting it to LEAP this year. As I understand, it may get freeze damaged here but will come back if established

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Veronika, I'd love a seedling! I'm very fond of the Annona family. It looks like a GIANT Sugar Apple!

Lisa

• trini1trini
    15 years ago

Sent ya an email.
    Thanks
    T-

• growgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trini, D'Ann and Lisa, I have seedling for you. I planted all the seeds I could, so I should have about 10-15. We will see.
    I will give them out at some swap, or can mail them to you Trini.
    Thonotorose, look forward to your fruit, it is absolutely delicious. My son was at first turned off by the way it looked, but after the first taste he was hooked. Such a treat.
    Let me know, how your tree does, I am for sure putting one in our garden.
    Solstice, I know funny name, but it really looks that way too. Too bad you can not grow one, you will have to come down south to taste them at least. After we get them going.
    Veronika

• tufanewbe
    15 years ago

Sent you an email

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Ok, put me down for a seedling. I swear this forum has made me braver in trying new edibles, but snot apple? Who did the PR on this fruit?

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Put me down for a seedling, please. I'm going to have to call it something else tho'

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Monster Sugar Apple! I've never seen this fruit.
    Must be a sturdy tree to hold 6 pound fruits.

With a name like that I'd have to grow it in my front yard, so when everybody asks what it is they'd know I'd gone over the edge!

• manature
    15 years ago

OMG, I've seen and heard EVERYTHING now! I'm sure glad it tastes good because THAT is the most disgusting looking thing I've ever seen! ACK! I think I'll just stick to Granny Smiths, if it's all the same with y'all.

*shudder*

Marcia

• growgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everybody who wanted one, I have seedling for you with your name on it.
    Now we will have to work out how to get it to you. I don't Have a problem with keeping them until the next get together.
    I also found a good website with the actual picture of the tree, it is a monster!
    http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/biriba.htm

I am really excited into getting this one into my collection!

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Bump

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Thanks for bumping this up D'Ann. The one I found on the web was something else and not the Biriba.

• springtime_fl
    15 years ago

I believe that I have the same tree also. However the one I have is Rollinia deliciosa. I got it from the Rare Fruit Society at a USF plant sale (from the same people that thonotorose got hers from). We have not had fruit from it yet.

It is very sensitive and froze back this last winter when we got down to 22 degrees for 9 hours. However it has sprouted back at about 4ft high. I don't know if it will still produce. Sounds like it will taste good if we get any fruit.

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Bumping for Lorraine................

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

Mine is now three feet high and appears to be leaping this year. The new leaves are twice as big at the older ones and it is also flowering. Don't think it will set fruit this year though.

• ceyhan
    15 years ago

Hi Grow Grow How are you ? i've been looking for Biriba seeds for a long time.
    I'm interested in exchange of Biriba seeds ... i'm currently living in Turkey if you need any seeds from here i can also send you ... please send me an email about your desicion...
    my email is bellow
    viciasativa78@hotmail.com

• vincesfl
    10 years ago

Ok so now it is summer 2013. Any luck with these seedlings? I have a grafted tree I planted last year. I hope it flowers this year. It was 2.5ft talk. This year it is 7ft tall. This tree grows real fast!

I want it to flower this summer. Any suggestions on how to make it flower? Does it require hand pollination?

Thanks,

Vince

• lucha2014
    9 years ago

Please, can you send me some seeds?? I have Two trees of the sugar Apple but they grow small but sweet. I live in the 10 zone.

• stevendennison165
    8 years ago

Hello, this thread is old but do you have any rollinia seeds available? Thank you!