Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loquat Tree Dying

Posted by bunnyhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 14:20

I have a loquat tree started from seed about 9 years ago.
It was beautiful, about 15 ft tall and this year was loaded with fruits. About a month ago the leaves started turning yellow and falling off. Now they are brown and staying on the tree. At the base of the trunk some of the bark seems to be pulling away from the trunk and crumbling.
I have done research and find that about the only thing that bothers a loquat is fire blight and it is not that.
No bugs on it, no disease that I can see. I know it is a gonner but I would just like to know why. Help anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loquat Tree Dying

That's really a shame. I can't answer the question, but if you are interested I can send you a new loquat seedling.

o

Was the Loquat injured or ringed by a weed whacker ?
This can be the kiss of death to any tree .

" Loquat trees in the home landscape are susceptible to trunk injury caused by lawn mowers and weed eaters. Maintain a grass-free area 2 to 5 or more feet away from the trunk of the tree. Never hit the tree trunk with lawn mowing equipment , and never use a weed eater near the tree trunk. Mechanical damage to the trunk of the tree will weaken the tree and if severe enough can dieback or kill the tree. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Loquat Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

o

Bunnyhouse,

I have had the same thing happen to 2 orchid trees. Near the base, the bark splits from the tree and curls up. Consequentially, both trees died. Neither of these trees are surrounded by grass, just mulched beds.

o

You could also check with the tropical fruit board. I think loquats are asian, but most tropical growers grow loquats as well.

o

We had a large loquat tree for years at our other house. It gradually began to decline in health until it had to be cut down. This was a long time ago but I think I recall there being a large and long worm in the middle of the trunk when it was cut down. This could have been what destroyed the tree. Or maybe it got in there when the tree became weak? Anyone else out there have this experience?

Sheri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here