Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toxictomato

First time Florida gardener. Clarifications needed.

ToxicTomato
11 years ago

Hello to all,

Hi, I am new here, and fairly new to gardening. I have grown things here and there in the past, but never an actual garden. Well this past spring planted, tomatos, cukes, herbs, peppers in containers, and had an OK run at best. Peppers are still producing.

With the almost success of the past crop its got me looking ahead to this fall aug-oct planting. I need to be better organized if I want to be good at this. Such as keep schedules, and journals, and plant dates and all that.

It leaves me with some questions though I'd appreciate if someone could clarify, and I apologize if they are dumb questions.

When you see planting dates for certain vegetables, say Aug-Sept it suggest. When growing from seed, and going off those dates, does that mean August is when the SEED should be planted, or does that mean come august an already established plant should be placed in the ground outside?

Also how does an all year round gardening season work in florida. I see things labled, spring/summer/fall/winter garden. If you start seeds in march does that mean its a spring garden, even though harvest won't come till summer, or is it a summer garden? Same with the other seasons... seed starting vs planting dates confuse me. Are they the same thing?

I live in Clearwater, Fl. When certain vegetables planting dates are differentiate between North/central/South Florida, am I considered central, even though I am right on the gulf coast which results in warmer seasons, or should I be going off the south schedule?

Finally! Am I zone 9A or 9B?

Sorry for all the questions, but I feel I should know these silly basics!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz