Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fl_southpaw

Who loves purple and green plants?

fl_southpaw
12 years ago

A new addition to my garden that feeds my love of purple and green plants...

Do you have a favorite purple and green plant?

Julie in West Palm Beach

Comments (25)

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

I just planted some malabar spinach. It has lovely purple vines and green leaves.

• mocropot
    12 years ago

I just love Nematanthus : purple and gree plus bonus red/ peach bloom

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Begonia

{{gwi:810695}}

Duranta

{{gwi:824811}}

and Persian Shield (that I cannot find a picture of)

Good thread - looking forward to the other posts!

• tomncath
    12 years ago

My favorite purple/green plant is edible ;-) Purple podded pole beans, leaves green, vines and beans purple. Beans cook up green though :-(

Purple pole beans obviously in the lower right of the picture.

Tom

• User
    12 years ago

stromanthes(not sure on the spelling) never sure on the spelling..:).semi shade....grows a long cane, lays a newbie on the ground....got it at the master gardeners plant sale years ago...

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Iris 'Red Velvet Elvis' (which is really purple)

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Oooooo... LOVE the iris!

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    How about "monkey puzzle"? lol Everytning is PURPLE except the flowers. Looks wonderful with yellow and orange cannas?? Would second the persian shield a well grown plant even develops a "sparkle" Would rate the flowers second ugliest right after "purple passion vine. They get top billing as worlds ugliest flower because it looks like cottage cheese it has a wonderful aroma of dirty Gym sox as a bonus!!! Leaves are works of art though.
    Trini What family does that Iris belong ?
    I have a Brazilian specie that bloomed the first time this year and has a very deep purple flower though it does have some white Fortuneately the leaves are fantastic as the flower is open about 3 hours a day lol gary

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I don't have any purple and green plants right now, but I'm definitely getting some more purple plants. I miss them so much! I think sometimes that I will die missing my garden, then I remember all the work, and think "nah".

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

I do, I do! there's something so pretty about purple & green in the garden - esp. purple & light greens. Some in mine are: Purple Queen, Purple Fountain grass, several unnamed bromeliads, sweet potato vine, purple lantana & porterweed. Also eggplant plants(done now), Rattlesnake pole beans (also done) & Purple Beauty peppers (still growing)...

• Martina DeLuca
    12 years ago

Green and purple are my favorite, especially for foliage plants

Alocasia Brian Williams

Calatheas

Tina

• fl_southpaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for feeding my addiction!
    Mocropot, I looked up nematanthus and it is very cool.
    Ladywingr, love that begonia and persian shield, too.
    Tom, are those purple pole beans a winter crop? They look so yummy.
    Wallisadi, that stromanthes is really pretty.
    Trini, gorgeous iris.
    Gary, do you have a picture of the monkey puzzle? You don't like passion flowers?
    Carol, do you have pictures of those purple peppers? Where did you get them?
    Tina, I covet that alocasia and calathea!
    Here is further evidence of my affliction:

Julie in WPB

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

OMG, Tina, that "morse code" plant is stupendous! What's the culture on those? ('Nother thread, maybe?)

Veronica

• annafl
    12 years ago

Oooh... love the purple and greens! Julie and others, thanks for the eye candy. I would take pictures, but my yard is presently gasping for rain. Maybe after tomorrow night's sprinkling. Rain!!! Rain!!!

Anna

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tom, are those purple pole beans a winter crop? They look so yummy.

Yes, pole beans are a fall and spring crop.

Tina has me now going after some Zebra plants. Here's a couple of pictures of my Alocasia Wentii.

And, not the best picture but lets not forget buddelia.

{{gwi:481101}}

Tom

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Gary, the iris is a Louisiana iris hybridized by a fella. Recently got it and the color is pretty intense. Just wish it bloomed more often in this climate. I am moving it around to see where it is happiest.

• annafl
    12 years ago

Pretty alocasia and buddleia, Tom.

Alright, I was out taking photos of a tree and had to take some purple and green shots too. Went a little nuts.

xanthosoma lime zinger, alocasia plumbea nigra and alternanthera purple knight:

strobilanthes:

Alocasia mojito, unknown alocasia (?illustris?), oregano, and coleus raspberry ruffle:

Forgot the name of this purple hued huge anthurium (?Marie?)

Lastly, Wood's Blue Goddess waterlily:

Anna

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Lovely, lovely pictures everyone.

Looks like it's time to carve out some more space for "stuff"!

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

Everything looks wonderful in all these photos - I wish I had more shade.
    Here's my small contribution...

Color isn't great, but I've had this common oxallis for years - one of the first plants I bought when I moved he

re so it has some sentimental value!
    Hester

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hester, that bowtie is just lovely. Pretty color on that oxalis.

Anna

• fl_southpaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are all so cool! I am partial to those alocasias and calatheas.

Anna, you have such interesting plants. I have an ancient bird's nest anthurium (over 20 yrs. old) but it isn't as lovely as your green and purple one.

Keep them coming! I love it.
    Julie in WPB and praying for rain.

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures... I never knew there was a thing like red okra!!! what its name?? I want to have it in my garden too.. Iris is amazing...

Duranta flowers are great, equally adored by bees & butterflies...

Alocasia mojito looks like artificial... so beautiful..

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Ooh what nice pix from everybody! I really dig that oxalis - I have 1 w/ large purple-tinged leaves. & that Alocasia Mojito is gorgeous = )

FYI, I get my seeds for Purple Beauty peppers @ Pinetree - it's OP, so you can save the seeds - if you can wait for the fruit to ripen fully - which takes f o r e v e r.

There are a number of purple peppers - many of them are chiles.

• fl_southpaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I sometimes get the Pinetree catalogue so I'll look for them. I've had the purple chile peppers in the past and they are very good.

Izhar, that Double purple datura looks great! I had one years ago that got eaten by leaf miners and it never had leaves that big! Wow.

Hester, I really like that oxalis. I might have room for that. I wish I had room for that vine. I've never seen that before. Cool.

I need a bigger yard or someone has to go (a good reason to yank someone who is underperforming).
    Julie in WPB

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

I love chartreuse and purple. I just do.

Carol B. in Sarasota (we had a two minute rain storm)