Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joss_1

Ice plant in South Florida?

joss-1
13 years ago

Hi All, I'm from Southern California, but have lived in Fort Lauderdale for about 7 years now. I miss the Ice plants from the beach hills and the freeway ramps. Has anyone grown a variety here with any luck? I'm even willing to cover them from the rain now and then if thats what it takes.

The large yellow flowered or bright pink would be ideal if I could find them, but I haven't seen them in any local nurseries. I've seen yards with the small bright pink flowers which I wouldn't mind, but I can't find those anywhere. Does anyone happen to know a nursery in Broward that carries any type? I'm also looking for succulents and cacti if anyone knows a good place. Thanks, Joss

Comments (8)

• ladywingr
    13 years ago

We have someone in our neighborhood (on the Manatee River south of Tampa Bay) that appears to be growing the pink variety. It made it through the freezes fine and bloomed this spring. It was planted last year and thus far, seems to being doing ok with our rainy winter and now lack of rain and the early summer heat. If it isn't ice plant, it is very similar in appearance. Unfortunately, I can't ask them what it is since it is a gated residence.

The other pink flowers you are seeing may be portulaca?

Terri

• katkin_gw
    13 years ago

A plant called baby sun rose does well here and comes in yellow and a pink. The flowers are small. There is a variegated form as well, but that didn't do as well for me, though I would try it again. I see them at plant sales at the botanical gardens.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

I have the pink aptenia/baby sun rose/ice plant. Picked it up at one of the Ace stores in Jacksonville end of last August. It grows very fast and loves full sun - as long as it gets regular waterings - not daily, but every couple of days. It is now covered in pink blooms. I do love this plant. I will post a current picture tomorrow. Here is what it looked like at the time of purchase:

• mrs_tlc
    13 years ago

Just bought one on the 50% off "ugly plant" table at Driftwood Garden Center in Fort Myers. I'm going to transplant it into two pots and hopefully it will be beautiful again. From what I've read on the internet it needs more sandy soil for drainage??

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Good drainage along with short dry periods between watering..

• Anthony Miller
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I lived in los angeles many years and learned a little about ice plants and xeriscaping. Since then lived Denver now Fort Lauderdale

. In my experience in south Florida where I live ....the key to ice plants ....is fast drainage and dryness since this zone 10 area is humid , hot , rainy or dry. We are not true Tropics. We are subtropics so it’s easy to get confused when people plant tropics here ... these people who plant tropicals outdoors will loose these tropical plants when/ if we get deep freezes which does happen on occasion.

winter dry dry season is best time to think ice plants ... summer wet wet season isnot unless... you grow ice plants in hanging pots in a sand gravel mix no water saving pots. Must drain . Plants can not -never sit in water ... with minimal care even neglect I can go away fir a week and they will be alive when I get back.

Lamprathus variety does best for me. But I have other ice plants , donkey tails, mother of pearls, blue chalk senecio, several variety of ice plants in containers hanging and otherwise.... when hurricane come I simply unhook them set them down on ground or indoors and rehang when it’s over.

south florida native soil sucks. It was a beach long long ago but it has microbes that kill any plant that is not adapted to these Microbes. I’ve seen roses from mail orders planted on the ground live three years and mysteriously die ( it was the microbes)... use native plants or knock-out roses Which are adapted.

florida commercial is making money because businesses build like its fantasy island ... locals know it’s not.

Ice plants are flowering when nothing else does ... and requires little attention

i shop Amazon for live plants not seeds.

If if you must grow them in the ground you’ll need raise beds , gravel and sand from store ... good luck

we all learn from trial and error

• Anthony Miller
    4 years ago

I am also from Los Angeles. I know what you mean . ice plants are beautiful.

i Only buy from two local gardening centers that seem to just what I want.

A) In Living Color , in Davie Florida

from i95 go west on griffin it’s on the north side of the road Next to black olive nursery

in living color ... is the closest gardening center that I have found that has everything and then some.

B) Nu-Turf Pompano, in pompano Florida. i95 go east on Copans Rd

turn left off Dixie hwy. Its on the west side of Dixie Hwy. for $20. I can plant my vegetables herbs ... save Money here. I don’t like supporting box stores so avoid them if I can. I go to HD or the L if I cannot find it at Nuturf and Livg. Color.

- As far as ice plants go ... it’s easy to find the Florida native ice plants, the purslanes etc...

i searched online fir ice plants and purchased them online. It’s the only way I get exactly what I grew up with in Cali. I invested in pots and cacti soils because Florida has nematodes in ground. I have to reorder ice plants when they die out. But it’s Worth it.

Keep out of rain... otherwise Root rot

persist To be a problem. I have 4-6 ice plants that I am currently growing. Currently it’s june- july And rainy. Once I get past the rain ... it’s dry season and they are put back out in the sun. i water once a week in dry season .. it just grows and flowers nicely

• dirtygardener
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I used to live in Venice, FL and my roommate had them growing there, but the first freeze killed them. We sold two varieties at the garden center where I worked in Venice, so I know they grow at least that far south (z10a)