Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by susieqsie 10 Chokoloskee (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 15:15

Hi Everybody
I tried to get an ID of these seedlings a while back ago, but I think they were too tiny to know what they were.

Now that they are a little bigger, can anyone tell what they are?

Photobucket

Thanks
Susie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 15:18

Hi Susie, I think they could be confederate rose seedlings. :o)

o

Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 6:30

Bumping this back up for Susie. :o)

I want to see what others think it is.

o

Something in the hibiscus family

o

Yup. Both hibiscus and confederate rose are in the mallow family.

o

Def. in the Hibiscus family - I have cotton seedlings that looks like that.

o

Thanks so much, guys! I knew you would know.

So I've been researching for an hour and hope you can answer some questions. See, these seeds came from a seed trade from someone not in Florida and I was told I was getting Rudbeckia. So I sowed lots and I ended up with lots of babies (that obviously are not Rudbeckia).

My problem is that I have a yard the size of a two-car garage, most of which the hubby keeps in nice lawn. So while these C.R. plants look awesome in all these images on Google, they probably aren't for me.

Do yours really get to be 20' tall and 10' wide in Fla?

Are they white-fly magnets?

Would it be feasible to try to grow one in a container, and train it to be a tall tree instead of a broad bush?

I wonder if these little babies would be mature enough to bloom this year . . .

Thanks for all your help.

Susie

o

Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 18:52

I make trees out of most everything, so my single flowered confederate rose is a nearly 15 foot tree. And I am in the process of making the double flowered one a tree too. :o)

I don't think yours will bloom this year, they bloom in the spring. Mine are done blooming now.

o

Thanks, Kathy, I also love to make trees out of everything that will let me!

In reading all the stuff I read, some folks say these bloom heavily in the fall, starting in Sept. But since mine are seedlings and they say you get quicker blooms from cuttings than seedlings, I'll have to wait. Hopefully, it will be next spring.

o

Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:22

Maybe they did bloom in Sept and kept blooming till spring. lol I just know they are all done now. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here