Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john222_gg

apricots in florida

john222-gg
10 years ago

Is there anybody growing apricots in Florida? I live just above Florida and was wondering if putting in apricots in my area was crazy. If anyone is growing apricots in Florida I sure would like a reply. What kind and what results thanks

Comments (8)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi John

Since nobody has answered you, I guess we don't have successful apricot growers in Florida. Unless in the future they will develop varieties suited for hot and humid conditions.

I don't know about your particular climate but in Phoenix I had the best apricot tree ever! it was my favorite for sure, it was a low chill variety Katy. It was so productive, tasty and easy care. If you are interested in trying, you can get bare root trees.

At my house right now I have 2 trees that I planted them last year bare root, they are a mix of plum, apricot and peach, trees look healthy but no fruit yet...

Silvia

• john222-gg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia
    Hope your new trees do good. I planted new apricot trees this last year it will take several years to see what they will do. Katy and several of the trees are low chill but I don't know how they will handle the high temps and high humidity only time will tell. That is why I was looking for someone who had already tried or growing them right now. Thanks for the response

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

We also had a wonderful apricot tree in Central Phoenix area when I was a kid. It had tons of fruit. I wonder if it is the humidity that they dislike? I haven't even tried one here in Fl yet but I would like to. I like apricots better than peaches.
    ~Lyn

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

My apricot tree died during the second year so I bought a bare root pluot (plum & apricot mix), it is still growing and doing good but no fruit yet.because this is it's second year.

The apricot tree above the graft union is what died but the roots below the graft union are still alive and sent up a clump of new growth. I'm training the largest sprout to grow this summer and will graft a cutting from my pluot to it in the springtime next year seeing the pluot has adjusted well to Florida's heat & humidity.

Lou

This post was edited by loufloralcityz9 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 3:32

• whgille
    10 years ago

John, I hope that your new trees do well. They will have no problem with the heat, we got over a 100 in the Phoenix area, about the humidity is another story.

Lyn, I prefer a good apricot better than any good peach anytime. Apricots in Phoenix were the first to ripen after the citrus that were so good too...

Lou, I planted my bare root trees for a year in a pot and after that in the ground. I have a flavor grenade pluot and bellagoldpeacotumb. While looking at the trees this morning, I was happy to find out that I have apples in my trees. Looking forward to try those.

Pluot

BellagoldPeacotumb

Silvia

• john222-gg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement we will see.

• plantman224
    10 years ago

John22 i have been wondering the same thing for awhile but decided to just try anyway, i now have 5 pluot trees from seed and 1 apricot from seed all 1 year old and so far my apricot is doing great in a 3 gallon pot im unsure as to the fruit production yet but will post again when it starts if it doesn't die first. So far though its doing well and i don't see why it shouldn't flower and fruit.