Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prickly pear cactus falling over

Posted by FLgardenmom 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 15:30

So, I inherited a prickly pear from my mother-in-law. She had it as a houseplant, but with the kids, I decided it was best outside. I had it successfully planted for about a year. It has put on a lot of new growth and now I can't get it too stand up (it's about 5' tall).

I don't really love it or hate it, but I certainly can't get rid of it, because every time my mother-in-law comes over she talks about how her late husband grew it from a baby. So, it would be really bad in-law PR to get rid of it. ;)

Should I repot it? Prune it? Bury it deeper? ...oh and the falling over problem happened long before the tropical storm. So, it's not just a heavy wind thing.

Thoughts?

Becca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prickly pear cactus falling over

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 17:19

Hi Becca

I have 2 kinds of prickly pear cactus, the fruit is good and one is yellow and the other red. I started them from seed and planted them on the west side. Because is protected from winds and freezes by the house it does well in this spot without any care even with all the rain and winds that we had. The soil is not amended. In Arizona I had xeriscape in my front yard and had cactus and succulents with stone as a mulch.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Hmmm, I do have a spot on the west side where I've been needing something tall. Thanks for the idea Silvia! Now to move it without turning my hands to swiss cheese!

Becca

o

Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 14:04

Becca, don't move it without rubber gloves! I am very experienced picking the pads with tools like giant tweezers,lol.

Silvia

o

Only got one poke! Went right through the gloves! Lost a bunch of pads, because I had to drag it. But they grow back fast, IME. I'm pleased with the new spot. Hoping this works. Thanks again for he idea. I'll post a picture later!

Becca

o

I have found that many of my Opuntias will lay over to keep the population going. Prickly pear grows in a patch not upright and spread by means of well laying down on the job. Have a great grow day, Paula

o

Well, it looks kind of sad, because it's laid on the ground for a week and the top pads are "weeping." But I like where it is. I think it will look good in time. ...and if it falls over again, there it will lie and grow like that. LOL!

Becca

o

Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 19:36

Becca

That looks good! It will make your mother-in-law happy.:)

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here