Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treefrog_fl

Miracle Fruit

treefrog_fl
17 years ago

Tis the season!

My bush is loaded with bright red berries.

That dose of azalea fertilizer I gave it last month has really kicked in.

Anyone else growing this?

I'm sitting here at the computer, sipping a glass of iced water with one whole key lime squeezed into it, sucking on one of these little red berries. What a treat!

Makes one delicious Mojito too. One key lime, a shot of rum and some club soda. NO sugar. Just suck on one little miracle berry.

Please don't anyboby tell me that it's loadad with cyanide or strychnine or some other crazy thing! LOL

Treefrog

Comments (16)

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

I have a seedling from Lisa, but it is still just sittting there. I thought it too young to give any fertilizer. That mojito sounds good, I'll be right over. lol

• treefrog_fl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Katkin,
    Welcome home.
    How was your trip?

I just had to run out for a minute to pick up some rum. Well, really we needed milk and a few groceries, but mojitos sounded good this weekend too.

Come on by!

Treefrog

• joanmary_z10
    17 years ago

My good sized shrub does not have a single bud on it! How come yours is bearing so well???? Usually I have quite a lot of fruit! Sob...

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    17 years ago

This one was on the western edge of the garden. Jeanne (2004) took it out of the ground but we saved it in a 15 gallon can and replanted it where it is now. I get a dozen or so fruit a year.

{{gwi:887400}}

{{gwi:887401}}

• msmarion
    17 years ago

I just brought my little guy, that Lisa gave me last fall, to show him what he is going to look like when he grows up! hehe
    Treefrog I wish you were coming with us tomorrow!
    Have a great day!
    Marion

• AmberSky
    17 years ago

That's it, I'm printing out that picture and posting it next to mine.

• treefrog_fl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joanmary,
    Last year I didn't get many berries at all.
    The only thing I can figure is the ample dose of acid fertilizer about a month ago. And watering more frequently since then. It is thick with flowers and at least a dozen fruits ripening every day.
    My neighbor's kids have gotten a big kick out of them with the key limes.
    I wish I had a camera and a way to post pics. My bush is much shorter and wider and thicker with smaller leaves than Ricki's, but the same berries. It's also different looking than Lisa's. Is there more than one variety of miracle fruit?
    Anyway, you're all invited for mojitos as long as the fruiting holds up!

Treefrog

• ariel73
    17 years ago

I only got a few fruit off mine . And then when all the flowers came, I realized I had it into much sun. Luckly for me I had it in a pot so it was easy enough to move but I thve nk all my flowers got fried except for a few.
    I haven't given it any fert. maybe if I do I could get more flowers so I could have more fruit!

• maggie
    17 years ago

What is this plant? Sounds like something I'll have to have!

• treefrog_fl
    Original Author
    17 years ago
  • treefrog_fl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

more pictures.
    http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/miracle_fruit_pictures.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• citrus_master
    17 years ago

im thinking about buying me some miracle fruit seeds off of ebay. Are they hard to sprout and how long dose it take to fruit.

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Citrus Master, the seedlings grow very, very, very slowly. I feel bad for giving so many away- I had no idea they were so pokey about growing up!

It is much more rewarding to just buy a 3' plant for $15. I got mine, in flower, at a local fruit tree sale.

They don't seem to germinate very easily. I plant seeds under my MF plant all the time, but only a few become plants.

They like acidic soil. Mine is potted in peat and pine bark.

Lisa

• tessie13
    17 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get Miracle Fruit plants? I'm in Washington State.

• pirranha
    16 years ago

Ive been growing some for about a year now and i found the seeds easy to sprout.
    I put them in slighty damp paper towel and put that inside a zip lock bag that i puff up so it has lots of air.
    If you let the seeds have enough room to breath inside the paper towel and not over water them they will not rot and sprout easily.
    I also found my city tap water was death to the plants.
    I now use only rain water that i collect.I also planted them in straight peat,they seem to love it.

-Pat

• miracleberrygrower
    15 years ago

wow, you must have had it a while or bought it as it was maturing because they take 10 years to product the miracle berry fruit from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle berry