Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Tom, Thanks AGAIN for the tomatoes!

Tomncath,

I don't see you here much any more and I miss you. I hope your life is going well and everything is happy.

I just wanted to thank you again for the Everglades currant tomatoes that you generously spread all over the southeast US last year. Once again, I have tomatoes that I did not plant, germinate, heat, hover over, transplant, water, protect or fertilize. They are all over the yard, year-round, popping up in various beds - - wherever God wants to put them! I never plant them and I never pull them. In the words of Terry Bradshaw, "All ya gotta do is eat 'em!" I think of you every time I have them, which is almost daily!

Please come back and visit the forum when you can.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Everglades currant tomato seeds (150 posts - topped out and the longest thread ever on the forum)

Comments (17)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

I say "amen" to that.

Can I get a witness?

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Absolutely! Tom is such a generous soul. His tomato generousity has enriched the lives of so many of us. :-) Too bad I now have 3' of soil over the bed of the currants I planted. LOL. I think I have 2 seeds left from 2 years ago. I'm going to plant them on my trellis next spring and let them go wild there where I suspect they will be annually forever more.

I officially now redub this tomato the TOMNCATH annual tomato.

:-D

Barbie~

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Not just the southeast - I have two growing now in MA, from cuttings that I brought back with me in early March. Tom's everglade cherry is spreading with global warming....

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Yellow or red? If you're talking about the red I think the yellow is better and much more hardy....

Thanks for the kind words folks, I still pop in occasionally but works been a bear...maybe one day I retire and have more GW time :-) :-(

BTW, I still have TONS of seeds ;-)

Tom

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Tom

I am so happy that you stopped by and check the forum. I miss you and hope that you comeback soon, don't work too hard. We need your ideas and input, always smart, polite and generous.

I am going to plant soon the yellow currant tomatoes that you gave me at the garden party.

Silvia

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I think this so-called everglades cherry must be one of the original land-races from central america. Seeing it in contrast with the more typical types makes it clear - the everglade has such thinner stems and especially such different color, very dark green. We know it is more tolerant of heat and humidity than the bred types, so it may prove to be less thriving up here, we'll see. I've got it planted near where there was early blight last year, to see if it is resistant.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

...must be one of the original land-races from central america....

True, it's considered the origin of all current tomatoes, S. Pimpinellifolium. You say currant, I'll say current ;-)

Tom

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I noticed today that the Pimpinellifolium I planted in soil infected with early blight is showing signs of it in the leaves. It will be interesting to see if it will ripen fruit or not. Last year tomatoes in that area grew immensely huge but would not ripen any fruit.

• lost_in_pr
    10 years ago

Hi Tom,

I am a new forum member and just found out about your Everglades tomatoes. I have lived in Puerto Rico for a little over a year now and I am having a hard time growing tomatoes here, even in winter.

I am wondering if you know anybody who had success with your Everglades tomatoes here and I would really like to plant some seeds if you still have some left.

Thanks!
    Gabi

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Hi Gabi, I still have plenty, won't hurt to try them....I sent some to Gitmo but never heard how he did with them. Send me an email from My Page and I get some seeds off to you.

Tom

• lost_in_pr
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tom! I sent you an e-mail with my address.

Gabi

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

My wild cherry that I brought back from florida this spring is now large and making a lot of ripe fruit despite a near 100% likelihood that it is growing in soil infested with early blight.

I take it as a pretty good indication that this landrace is highly resistant.

• rene09
    10 years ago

I planted a few seeds & have two red & two yellow up! hope they bear before cold weather!!

• tomncath
    10 years ago

;-) In my hot, humid environment I honestly think the yellow holds up better and is more productive than the red....

Tom

• kumquat1
    10 years ago

Tom sent me some seeds last year. This Spring I planted some seeds that I had dried from my favorite one of them. I also got a very nice Cherokee Purple homestead tomato plant from a nursery. Had heard a lot about them and was excited. It produced exactly one very small tomato, which tasted good. The Everglades tomato had been making all along. Delicious. Every day there are ripe ones. Hooray for Tom and the currant tomatoes from heaven!

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I got a response from Carolyn over at the tomato forum regarding my question about the difference between "cherry" (lycopersicum var. cerasiforme) and "currant" ( solanum pimpinellifollium). Based on that I would say that the everglades is the former, not the latter.

The latter is supposed to have even more resistance to blights.

• lost_in_pr
    10 years ago

Hi Tom,

just got the tomato seeds!!! I am so excited to try them, I think I will plant two each this week even though it is still summer. We'll see how they do...

Thanks again,
    Gabi