Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saldut

Do you grow David Austin roses??

saldut
11 years ago

Cool Roses in W. Palm is now grafting David Austin roses and has a nice selection, on Fort. I have several own-root, but am drooling over these grafted DAs.... does anybody here already grow the DA roses, and which ones are the best bloomers..????. the ones I have are very shy bloomers and I don't want any more like that...also I am no-spray, and the ones I do have are pretty good resisting BS.. I'd love to hear abt. which DAs bloom the best for you and how they handle BS.... thanks, sally

Comments (11)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I don't grow them, but I've given several over the years to my SIL in Clearwater. They just didn't seem to thrive own-root--not many blooms and very small blooms when they did, so I'm very curious about this, too.

• amberroses
    11 years ago

I have an Heritage rose grafted on Fortuniana from Cool Roses. I have it in a morning part shade location. It has good blackspot tolerance and fair to good rebloom. The flowers smell so heavenly to my nose even by Austin standards. The only negative is the blooms shatter quickly.

I have Alnwick rose on its own roots planted in a pot in part afternoon sun location. It's done very well and the flowers are very attractive. I'd say it has good rebloom.

I have Munstead Wood, Young Lycidas, Port Sunlight, Windermere, Sister Elizabeth, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Queen of Sweden and Jude the Obscure on Dr. Huey planted in large pots. I like all of them:)

I went a little crazy with the Austins lately and these are all recent additions so time will tell how they do over the long run. Best bloomers are Windermere and Sister Elizabeth.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

How are the Heritage blooms for size for you? I've seen them as huge lovely things in other places, but the ones my SIL got looked more like the size of blooms on a Louis Phillipe that had been growing feral in sand for ages.

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

I second Windermere. Blooms all of the time, great fragrance and no black pot. Pat Austin is my favorite. Pretty much always seems to have some blooms and they are very showy. Very minimal black spot.

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Heritage gets medium size blooms in this summer heat. They're bigger than Louis Phillipe, but not as big and full as they are in the cooler weather. They only last one day or less though before the petals drop.

• imagardener2
    11 years ago

I got Abraham Darby on fort. from CoolRoses. I saw CR would be at a Sarasota rose show and called to ask that they bring one. It's gorgeous and blooms constantly, very large blooms with heavenly fragrance.

The leaves are more scarce than on OGR rose bushes so it's not perfect. Mrs. BR Cant is near it and her blooms are just a tad smaller but doesn't keep in bloom as continually as Abe Darby.

At that same rose show I toured the cut roses being judged and LOVE Lady of Megginch for bloom, color and fragrance. It is tempting to begin replacing some underperforming OGR's with Austin's because OGR's take so much time to develop into decent bushes.

I think the secret is the fort. roots for Florida. I even made a grafting attempt of my own, putting Deuil de Dr. Reynaud on fort. It's doing better than the original Deuil which is own-root.

I'm so glad Cool Roses is in Florida offering these great roses. If I lived closer I'd be broke buying a lot more Austins on fort.

Denise

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks, I appreciate the input, I was really surprised when I saw this new listing at Cool Roses... they do have a nice selection and I'm thinking these are good for Fla., I'm lusting for Crocus Rose, Happy Child, Carding Mill, Abe Darby (again, my other Abe was on Fort. from Nelson's, and never grew or bloomed and gradually died, I suspect it was virused)...they also have South Moon, Marinette, Evelyn... plus more but they are dark red and I'm looking for yellows and apricots... I do have several DA own-root, from Chamblee's, in pots, and they bloom once in a while...so I'm hoping the fact that these are on Fort. will make a difference... the OGRs I got last year, on Fort. from FSC sale, are so vigorous, they are huge and very fast-growing, the best bloomer is Maggie , and Prosperity, Mrs. Cant does well, but there are a couple I'm thinking I'll relocate to the back-yard! thanx again, sally

• jenniferinfl
    11 years ago

It's nice to see there's another place using Fortuniana rootstock.. I thought Nelson roses around Orlando were the only ones using it. Now if I could just locate a plant show in central florida that had either!

• tinael01
    11 years ago

Nelsons is in central florida and is open to the public on Saturdays. Price is the same but the selection will blow your mind!

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

Jennifer, Cool Roses is usually a vendor at the Leu Gardens sales, when the have them.