Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mangoes!

Posted by Greenie1 10-Ft. Lauderdale (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 17:28

How are your mangoes doing this year? My glenn has been a prolific producer for years now despite being in a tight environment between houses here in Ft. Lauderdale as you can see. I'm afraid it may break the limbs though so I'm getting ready to prop it up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mangoes!

What a beautiful sight!! How old is your Glenn? Do you ever have Critter problems stealing your fruits? I live close to a state park and I'm afraid I'm constantly fighting them off for my own fruits,lol...Nice tree!!

Here's my Keitt mango...these are a late variety and won't be ready till August. I have a Glenni also but only 1/3 of the tree bloomed this year...can't wait till those are ready...

o

Oh, yeah the animals get their share. Even though I'm in urban Ft. Lauderdale my housing development has a preserve area full of possums and racoons. Once fruit hits the ground it's gone, so I have to pick from the tree as soon as they're close to ripe. My Glenn's about 10 years old now.

o

A ten year old Glenn mango tree ? My ultimate dream ! lol
As of 3 months ago I had only 4 mango trees mature enough to have a decent harvest.

The Nam Doc Mai was the oldest, in ground 5 years but had to cut it down as it was constantly sick and no fruit for last 3 years.

The Kent is inground 4 yrs, looks healthy but no fruit so far. My favorite tasting mango, - gets all the TLC the others do, - keeping my fingers crossed.

The Glenn is also 4 yrs old and again having a great crop, - maybe 45 or so pink & green fruits just one week away from being harvested.

The Valencia Pride, 4 yrs old, also with 45 + late season fruits is the tallest, at 15 ft. A very large, great tasting fruit, it also makes a superb shade tree. Tied with Glenn for #2 best tasting in my book !! (smile ) Will be picking these guys in mid July, before the fruit flies get to them !!.

My area here in SW Florida is close to the northern limit for consistently growing healthy mango trees. But any extra care is well worth it as mango's are the best tasting fruit out there, ( OK, OK, maybe tied with peaches ! lol ). Ft Lauderdale on the other hand should be prime mango growing country.

As far as critters are concerned, in the 6 yrs I've lived in this park, I have not seen one possum or raccoon. Squirrels, rabbits and rats ( the 2 legged ones ) are the greatest nuisance. ( smile )

However, there is one formidable foe that has the run of the huge park, - a solo Coyote, the size of a full grown German Shepard. It has no enemies, however, ( am knocking on wood here ), he ( she ) has shown no inclination to maul any hanging fruit.

Good luck propping up your Glenn.

o

Nam Doc Mai, have had it for 1 year, still a small tree. I have a total of 2 mangoes!! Makes it easier to guard them.

This post was edited by morningloree on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:40

o

I am so incredibly jealous. My mango in a pot died this winter and the mature 12 year old tree I planted at my old house is HUGE and loaded. Unfortunately the new owners are never home to try to bargain with. LOL...

So, if any of you need help eating, harvesting or otherwise with your crop- just say the word and I will be there!

Barbie~

o

Hmmm,...you say the new owners are NEVER home ? Heh, heh, heh,..next time bring a few plastic bags from Wally's and fill them up !!
Hate to put evil thoughts in people's minds, but that is what I am putting up with here. A 12 yr old mango tree should be at it's peak,..what kind of mango tree is it ?
My particular area of SW Florida is experiencing, ( from my observations ), an uncharacteristic dearth of mango's,..many huge trees fruitless !!!.
Hope you catch the new owners at home soon,..the early season fruits here are beginning to turn red & yellow, just days away from plucking !

o

I pass by a few trees on the way to work and most of them are heavy this year. One though has almost none. Go figure.

If I knew for sure they weren't just avoiding answering the door I would probably sneak a couple and leave a note on
the door. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here