Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I grow huge Ti plant in container

Posted by chinchette 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 17:34

I just got two 7 gallon hugh ti plants to put under my oak tree. Can they do okay in large containers? The person at the nursery didn't think so. It would be better for me because a) I don't loose a foot of height when planting, and b) its hard to get a hole of that size near an oak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I grow huge Ti plant in container

I don't see why you couldn't. I don't always believe the sales people. When we first moved to Florida in 1989 I asked the sales lady if I could plant night blooming jasmine next to the house. She said yes. I told her I only wanted a plant that was a few feet tall and she said that was a good plant for me. Bull-oney! It got so tall, it reached the eaves in no time. We finally had to dig them up and move them because we were pruning them so much.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 6:26

I think it would work too, but be sure to water it enough.

When I first move here I was looking for short plants for around my screen enclosure and the nursery sold me dwarf hibiscus. Of course later I found out there is no such thing, they add a chemical the keep them small for six months to a year. One now is a tree over 10ft tall!!! Most times I think you have to grow it yourself to learn first hand what it will do. Because what works for you might not work for me. :o)

o

I was also thinking that maybe the nursery brings them in from Southern Florida looking good, then in 9b, they shed a lot of leaves in the winter. I hope they do okay for me.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 6:15

I think most all ti's get leggy and shead their lower leaves, then it is time to cut them shorter and root the cutting to make new plants. New shoots will form from below where they were cut and make the plant fuller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here