Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Need tropical landscaping design ideas...(long)

c9pilot
14 years ago

We finally got the front of our house up to speed with new stucco and paint (the other three sides will wait until we replace the windows), and I need to completely landscape the front yard.

The problem is, I can't find any good books or websites that explain LANDSCAPE DESIGN. Sure, plenty that discuss which plants to choose, different kinds of walkways, use of decks in your design, how to build a pergola, and "unique" designs (mediterranean, formal, cottage, desert, herb, etc) blah blah blah, but none that straight out discuss how to DESIGN.

Here's where I stand: I have an L-shaped house. The garage sticks out towards the street, but the door faces sideways, IOW, the driveway curves from the road 90 degrees right into the garage, past the front door, which is only about 4 feet from the driveway (no front walk needed). So I have a skinny strip (roughly 10' wide) on the left side of the drive, and a large front yard in front of the garage (54' wide by 38' deep, but that includes 10' of city easement).

I'm looking for guidelines on where I should place trees to look nice and frame the house and how to shape the beds to look nice. I've already got most plants and trees picked out, I just need to figure out where to put them.

I have driven around our neighborhood but there are only a few homes with the side-entry garages like mine, and none of them are nicely landscaped. Most have added more driveway to curve back to the street so they just have a little island that they have landscaped to drive around. And, the vast majority of the yards in my neighborhood are mostly grass, while I'm hoping to nearly or completely eliminate grass (and mowing)!

So what I'm hoping for here are any resources (books or websites) that you can recommend, or post any nice tropical front yard landscapes that you like. Or, if you can recommend a neighborhood in St Pete/Clearwater that I can drive around for ideas, I'd do that, too!

So you know my tastes, I'm looking at use of edibles (mango, avocado, banana, citrus, starfruit maybe if there's room) and palms (foxtails, Christmas, coconut), and non-hedge-like tropical plants (cannas, gingers, heliconia, ti, birds, zanadu, cardboard, hibiscus, pineapple, etc - variegated foliage I love). Hoping to keep some small plumeria, too. I don't want anything that has to be trimmed into a hedge, square or round or anything although I know hibiscus needs a lot of work, the flowers are worth it. I don't mind light pruning and shaping, but anything remotely like a hedge is a no-go!

I know this is not very plant-specific like most of the posts, but I'm just hoping there's a landscaping guru on here that might understand the anguish that I'm experiencing! I've been drawing this out over and over and I keep getting stuck where to put the trees! (I'm pretty sure the big edibles will line the sides of the property, but where to put the palms?) Appreciate any help!

R/Lisa, a newbie gardener and only in FL less than 2 years, having moved around in the Navy and never having a chance to settle in and actually landscape before!

Comments (8)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Click here for a start.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, fawnridge!
    That has some pretty good guidelines. I'm just nervous about that initial placement of the trees that he explains because there's no major feature in the yard. I think it'd be easier if I had to design around the walk to the front door, or a water feature (don't want one) or something. I just want a landscaped jungle. Hmmm....

• kitchenshock
    14 years ago

I think if you look at fawnridge's (Ricky) photos on his site you can see a great example of a jungle. Also there is a poster that goes by junglegal I think that has a really great looking jungle yard. I am new here too, so there probably are many more great jungle type gardens that other members can point you too.

Keep in mind the garden type you want, the landscaped jungle, is probably the most difficult to create. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, there is no way you will get the look you are after for probably three years or more. With a jungle, the starting point is canopy. In Florida the choices are usually some kind of subtropical or tropical evergreen or palms that make good canopy. If you go with palms, pick ones that don't shed their fronds or have large seeds (ie Coconuts). The worst two choices are Coconut palms and Royals given the massive size and weight of their fronds.

• junglegal
    14 years ago

Any chance you can post a pic? I grow or have grown most of what you listed here in St. Pete. Just a few things to consider because they will be work.

avocado - grows large & will be very messy once a year unless you plan to plant a patio variety. Jene's sells them.
    banana - they start out innocently but soon form a large and very heavy corm. (I grew 24 varieties & finally removed them except for dwarf and bordelons.
    palms - foxtails do well, christmas & coconut may perish or look very bad if we get another bad winter. There are TONS of palm options. Dypsis, neodypsis, coccothrinax, Archontophoenix etc...Take a walk thru Kopsick park near the pier for ideas. I can help you locate most varieties.

non-hedge-like tropical plants
    cannas (most get rust in winter, the exception for me is Canna warscewiczii ), gingers (stay away from most alpinias,they'll go dormant and likely not flower here. Costus thrive here. Costus scaber, Costus barbatus are some good ones. Also Hedychiums do well.
    heliconia - if you plant pttisporum, they will spread quickly and far. Any type will form a clump and require thinning occasionally. H latispatha Red/Yellow Gyro is tried and true for me.
    cardboard palm - don't underestimate how much space they will require within 3 yrs. They get wide and pretty tall.

I just wanted to point out that your choices will still require some effort but it looks like you are off to a good start with your plant list! Good luck & take lots of pics of your progression :)

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did a little searching on this forum and Ricky and junglegal are my inspiration!

I don't think I want to go quite as jungley - but I really like the natural feel to both their gardens. Until we tore everything out, we had those boxwood bushes that were shaped in balls and square hedges - yuck! I have no idea why the previous owners would have tried to turn it into a formal English garden.

I would post a photo except I have no idea how. A bit more research required on that but it seems like everyone uses Photobucket and we use Picasa. There's really nothing to take a photo of anyway except scrubby lawn and big dirt areas where we took out most of the hedges, a really ugly juniper tree thing that's coming out, and some of those Pygmy Date Palms (I think) that I don't like either. The backyard is on hold - we've got to take out a laurel oak and decide on a pool, but that's where we'd probably put the royal palms - along the seawall.

My biggest thing is trying to incorporate edibles into the landscape as much as possible after reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma". That's why I'd like at least one coconut palm (think "Castaway") and some fruit trees. I already have a Winter Mexican Avocado and a Key Lime tree from Jene's, still in pots, already made 2 Key Lime pies!

The neighbor on the skinny side has agreed to "share" the fruit, so we can put the trees right on the property line there. We also already have bananas that we share with them, since they've grown up on both sides of the fence between our side yards. I just like the way bananas look - very tropical looking, and that Siam Ruby is gorgeous, although I believe non-fruit-bearing.

I live in South St Pete right off Boca Ceiga Bay, so we don't take the freezes quite as badly as everyone else in our zone (which is why I can say "10a" when I think I'm supposed to be "9b"), and everything I listed grows in my neighborhood, except I don't see much citrus, avocado, or starfruit. Mostly because everyone is afraid of fruit rats and not very original in their yards. We have one jungle yard on my street and there's a native yard down a ways, but almost everyone here loves their lawns! Most people have just stuck a couple of palms in the middle of their lawns, but too boring for me, and that still requires a lot of mowing!

Here's where I get really wacky - I'm thinking about setting aside the first 12' or so in front of the garage to put in a veggie garden. Then I'd put a small retaining wall in front of it and berm up a few feet, sloping down to the street. And probably put some vines or bushy stuff along the top of the berm to "hide" the veggies and the palms in front and on the side, too. The street runs north-south, so I'm pretty sure that area would still get plenty of sun during the growing season in fall/spring. My DH is totally against this. I think that even a wall or berm, without veggie garden, will give the otherwise flat yard some dimension. Or maybe the jungle look is enough. Just trying to sort through all this....

• vireyafl
    14 years ago

You will find some great tropical garden photos on www.cordyline.org ,click on 'members gardens'.
    Be very careful when planting royal palms - they get huge, when the fronds fall they squash(kill) whatever they land on and the fronds are a pain to dispose of as they are so massive.

• joemow_2009
    14 years ago

I was searching around and found a website with cool ideas for landscaping yards and gardens. Check them out!

Here is a link that might be useful: water gardens and landscaped yards

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

You're definitely a 10a. You really do need to post some pictures, then Brenda and Ricky will be able to give you excellent advice regarding plant variety and placement....

How's the Jeannie Moragne doing?

Tom