Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Please share your tips on getting rid of Slugs and Snails

I usually like to live and let live, but the slugs and snails have gotten out of control. They are decimating more and more of my plants, taking some of them down to nothing but a skeleton. So yeah, it's on!

I know that I can use either slug bait or beer but I have actually never used either. What is the best way to do it? Does the beer have to be fresh or can I use an opened bottle over several days? (Do they make any beers with a screw top?) Does it need to be chilled? Will any old kind of beer do? What kind of cup or container should I put it in? I would appreciate hearing any advice or tips. Thanks so much!

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (23)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holy cow, I found tons of good info by using a simple search. Should have done that first. See link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results

Original Author
    10 years ago

This is an absolutely amazing and cool timelapse video showing slugs getting a big swig of beer... and then slithering away! This shows why you have to make a beer trap if you want to catch slugs with beer.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: A timelapse of slugs and beer

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, here's one way to make a trap. Notice that the slugs that were caught were not dead... that's why you need a trap, not just an open dish or bowl.

The girl in this video has the sweetest southern voice. I couldn't believe it when she tossed the beer top into her yard. I hope she picked it up later.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make a Slug Trap

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some quick tips from what I have learned:

If you haven't watched the video in my third post, you really should.

If you are going to use an open container, a butter dish or something with vertical sides works better than something shallow and/or sloped sides. The vertical sides may be more likely to cause the slug to fall in and not be able to crawl back out than something shallow or sloped. Also, with this method, more/deeper beer is better so that the slug actually drowns. You should bury the container so that the top is flush with the ground surface. Don't pour the beer in until you have the container situated. (A trap is still far better. Like the video in my first post, see the link below that again shows many live slugs slithering away after drinking the beer.)

If using the water bottle trap (shown in the second video above), sealing tape is better than staples so that the beer will not run out when placing the container on its side. However, staples will work (to attach the inverted top to the bottom) if you are going to place the contraption upright by burying it. Again, don't pour in the beer until you have the contraption situated in the ground.

The beer will last two nights full nights. The slugs come out a night so you should start it in the evening. On the third day, the beer will start to go bad and I have read that the rotting slugs will start to smell.

The slugs are attracted to the yeast in the beer (not the alcohol), so a beer or ale with a high yeast content works best. There are some recipes on the web for making your own mixture from packaged yeast, sugar, water, etc.

Slugs lay lots of eggs so even if you wipe out a good portion of the population, you have to repeat every two weeks or so for awhile to kill the new hatchlings.

To kill a slug on the spot, a spray bottle of plain ammonia (non-sudsing/no soap type ammonia) and water will do it immediately. I have read proportions of everything from a 1:1 (50/50) ratio, to 1 part ammonia to 20 parts water. Ammonia breaks down into nitrogen (and hydrogen) so it won't harm your plants, at least from what I read.

Salt will work to kill a slug immediately but is horrible for your plants and soil, so not recommended.

Other stuff like copper, diatomaceous earth (DE), coffee grounds, etc. have mixed results. Some people swear by it, but there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing that they don't always work.

There are various retail products, too. Some (metaldehyde based) are extremely poisonous to animals. I am going with the beer method first because I have sooooo many garden beds to do. It would take me several $6.95 boxes of pellets to do the whole yard and I think one beer will allow me to set many traps. Of course, I will be repeating several times to use all of the six-pack. And then I will do it all over every few weeks to get all of the hatchlings.

If anyone else has experience with or is currently working on this problem, please feel free to add to this thread.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Another experiment that shows slugs can crawl away AFTER drinking the beer

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 15:11

• rosarama
    10 years ago

Get a deep bowl that they cannot climb out of

• starryrider
    10 years ago

for some reason this has been a banner year for slugs.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosarama, I have now watched enough YouTube slug videos to realize that there is no such bowl. The depth of the bowl/cup/container seems to make no difference. They can climb up vertical sides of anything in order to get back out.

Starryrider, I agree. I have some plants that are nothing but midstem ribs. Very sad (for me and the plants). The slugs have to go. There is no other way about it.

Carol

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Would just like to add that the slug & snail iron phosphate pellets have worked very well for me - look for the 1s formulated to withstand wetting. You do not need a lot & they last long enough to control the little pests. I buy them @ Home Depot for approx. $11-$12 & 1 pkg lasts me for months. Simply sprinkle lightly around the plants you want to protect, following pkg. directions. I always sprinkle around freshly sown seeds as well - esp. beans & peas, which they love.

I grow organically & this is something I am comfortable using.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol B, thanks so much for letting me know where to get it and that it is working for you! I appreciate it. Does it come in a plastic container, box or bag? I hoping a big ol' bag!! :)

Carol

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

My local store was carrying a canister/shaker brand in the past, but latest is a bag w/ a pour spout - seems like a larger amount for approx. the same price.

{{gwi:890220}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol B, thanks for the info! I will get some!

Carol in Jax

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I used to use beer and they are very attracted to it. Then I got various poultry (chickens, guineas, turkeys, muscovy ducks etc.) then all the slugs seem to have disappeared. I know most of the chickens who free range don't like slugs they act like they are the nastiest thing they ever tasted and will wipe their beaks for 5 minutes on the grass after trying one lol.
    I think the guineas and the muscovy ducks are eating them. I still find tiny snails from time to time in the water plant tubs.
    Also, I noticed a huge increase in the firefly population the last few years and I read somewhere that they like to dine on slugs and snails.
    I have mostly quit spraying pesticides a few years ago but still use neem once in awhile. I have noticed a whole new ecosystem going on in the yard since I quit spraying.
    ~Lyn

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

When I lived in NY (most of my gardening life), I frequently put beer traps out for slugs. I would use tuna cans, cat food cans, etc. Put beer half way up and each morning it was full of slugs. Disgusting!

Shortly after a few days, apparently the large crows/ravens discovered this tasty treat. We were awakened one sunrise to see the large black birds eating the slugs out of the cans. The hollering and squawking woke us each morning.

We called it the 'crows cocktail hour.' They ate the slugs and appeared tipsy as they flew off.

Jane

• corar4gw
    10 years ago

snails like dark, damp places - good air circulation won't drive them all off, but it will help to trim droopy plants, keep debris picked up and to check for damp areas.

:>/ I'm probably telling you something you already know.

• anita
    10 years ago

Carol:

I watched the video about using the water bottle - cutting off the top and inverting it, but I've got big ol' snails that wouldn't be able to get their shells through that opening. Do you thing something like a milk jug or large-ish juice bottle with a bit wider mouth would work to make this trap?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure! I think the important thing is to make the exit more difficult than the entry. If you cut off and invert the top, I think it will work effectively the same as the water bottle. Good idea!

Carol

• sharbear50
    10 years ago

Love-the-yard, thank you so much for the link to the slug trap video...I don't have slugs but I do have a huge snail problem. I am going to give that homemade trap a good try. I have had some success with beer so I am hopeful to get this under control before my fall veggie garden is started.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sharbear, you are so welcome. I hope you can get them all. Yeah, the time lapse video showing how many slugs get away convinced me that I had to use traps. That is one amazing video for anyone who hasn't seen it. Link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: A time lapse of slugs and beer

• sharbear50
    10 years ago

My problem is snails not so much slugs. The whole neighborhood has them. They are literally everywhere. CarolB thank you. I will look for that stuff. Good to know it is safe around pets. My dog has to inspect everything.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

If someone has larger snails, you can use 2 Liter bottles or really, any bottle where the top and fits into the body of the bottle and is reachable at ground level, it will work (meaning even some of those 1 gallon juice bottles with the big openings).

I used the Natria slug bait (as pictured in this thread a few posts up) and it worked fine. It uses the similar primary ingredients as Sluggo does, but is cheaper.

• corar4gw
    9 years ago

hmmmmmm, Amonia sounds like the most effecient. Cheap, too.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cora!

Yes, a 10% ammonia solution in a spray bottle is by far the easiest to kill slugs on sight without damaging your plants or soil. (You should not use a salt shaker.) Just take any old spray bottle and put in 9 parts water, 1 part household ammonia (non-sudsing kind, if you have it). You may read about stronger solutions (more ammonia), but it is not necessary. Since you will be spraying the slugs as you see them, you will also see that a 10% solution works. Have fun!

Carol

• ndubbeld1
    7 years ago

Cheap long lasting and environment friendly is: SAND PAPER!

Or better sand linnen, grid 80/100 is what snail don't cross, put it around your raised beds or on a piece of material on hte ground like a strip of wood, aluminium or plastic. Make sure you work tidy, it works! \0/