Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecopal_gw

Blueberries in South Florida.

Ecopal
11 years ago

Hey Everybody

Can anybody tell me what non hybrid blueberries do well in south Florida? Home depot is selling them but all the label reads is blueberries. Also Im not very interested in pea sized blueberries.

Comments (9)

• amberroses
    11 years ago

I know of some that do well, but I have no idea if they are hybrids or not. I'd guess that most of them are hybrids since many are developed by colleges for their low chill hours. I've never seen a blueberry's hybrid or non-hybrid status listed anywhere since they are not usually grown from seed. I believe there are some wild varieties that grow in different parts of Florida. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me will name some non-hybrids.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

How south? By non hybridized do you mean not patented? There are a few of those though the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Misty but I can't tell you a single non hybridized as the southern high bush are all hybrids. The southern highbush was created by crossing northern high bush with native Florida blueberries.

If you have very low chill hours I would recommend you try Sunshine blue it is probably the least picky BB when it comes to growing conditions and is very low chill. Another nice thing is they are a late ripening variety so it extends the season. Just know that you must let them stay on the bush 10 days to two WEEKs AFTER they turn full dark blue. When the color up they are FAR from ripe.

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

Ecopal,
    Gulf Coast - 100 chill hrs - Zone 8 - 10 (May ripening)
    Sharp Blue - 150 chill hrs - Zone 7 - 10 (Apr/May ripening)
    Sunshine Blue - 150 chill hrs - Zone 5 - 10 (Apr/May ripening)
    Misty Blue - 150 chill hrs - Zone 6 - 10 (May ripening)
    Spring High - 200 chill hrs - Zone 8 - 10 (Apr/May ripening)
    Emerald - 200 chill hrs - Zone 8 - 10 (Apr/May ripening)
    Jewel - 200 chill hrs - Zone 8 - 10 (May ripening)
    Scintilla - 200 chill hrs - Zone 8 - 10 (Apr ripening)

I named a few that should fruit in Zone 10. The Scintilla makes huge delicious berries, and early ripening but hard to find unless you know a grower willing to part with some.

All blueberry bushes sold now are hybrids, the non hybrids are the bushes with teeny berries you'll find near the swamps while hunting in the bush.

Lou

• TampaBull
    11 years ago

Hello

Long time lurker first post!

Ecopal.. Do you have a Lowes nearby?
    I've noticed that HomeDepot doesn't really label their plants thoroughly.

Like you I was looking for blueberries, but HD only lists the general name not the specific variety (and not just for blueberries.)

Going to Lowes, I've noticed that they actually also list what variety they are.
    I bought a Sharp Blue, Jewel and Emerald from them.

Oh.. and I am not a Lowes worker/pusher/ect.
    I actually prefer HD more for most of my general purchases, but Lowes always seems to have a better garden section.
    ...That's when I'm not buying from a local nursery of course.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Ecopal,

If you look at Lous list I would advise you not to buy Gulfcoast.

• coffeemom
    11 years ago

I think Ecopal is in Miami. I jumped on the blueberry bandwagon a few years ago. What berries I got were swiped by wildlife. Those back to back cold winters we had were a fluke. The 4 kinds I had were not happy with the chill hours in South Broward. I sent them to Deland with my sister.
    Ecopal, you'll get more bang for your buck with mulberries.

• Ecopal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in Hialeah. Buy the way I saw a particular blueberry called Spartan Blueberry that grows very large blueberries. Can it grow here?

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Spartan is a Northern highbush so no. They were selling it in Hialeah??

• gonefishin271943
    9 years ago

I bought 2 blueberry plants 4 years ago when I first moved to south FL. They are starting to blossom right now in mid-late December. I know they are supposed to produce berries in May or June but for some reason they have chosen now to produce.