Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felix941

white "scales" on Jatropha

Felix941
10 years ago

Can anyone help identify this and suggest how I treat ?
Please and Thank you.

Comments (13)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Mealybugs!

Here is a link that might be useful: UFL on mealybugs

• starryrider
    10 years ago

Bayer Tree and Shrub works awesome for mealy bugs. I had some on a plant that I repeatedly sprayed but couldn't get rid of. After T&S treatment they are gone.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Just a word of encouragement, our Jatropha seems to have a permanent case of this. We treat it per the Bayer instructions PRN, which seems pretty regularly, and it always fights its way back after the mealy bug damage. They are persistent pests but the Jatropha is a more persistent plant.

• Felix941
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! will give it a try.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Check to see if there are also large ants on the plant. I had an issue with bull ants farming mealy bugs on a justicia plant and ended up having to cut the plant down several times in order to keep the bugs from spreading to other nearby plants and buying some extra strength ant poison to get rid of the ants. Since I got rid of the ants I haven't had an issue with mealy bugs on that particular plant. But if you don't get rid of the ants the mealy bug keeps coming back no matter how much you treat them.

• coffeemom
    10 years ago

Jatropha is a butterfly bush so what kills the mealybugs can harm the butterflies. I would try to pressure spray what I could and then spray 409/alcohol/water with a few drops of dish soap as needed daily.

• Felix941
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have a huge, very active bees nest in an Australian Pine tree, about 10 feet off the ground. Any recommendations for bee removal? Not sure what type of bee.
    Thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Leave them be. Bees are terribly endangered and you're fortunate to have them. If you absolutely must remove them (someone in the house is allergic to stings, say, or you plan to chop down the tree), call a professional to relocate them. Don't kill them!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

My sister, who lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, recently found a bee hive inside her garage. She said that it cost her $600 to have the hive relocated. I have no idea what kind of bee or who she hired, but that sounded awfully expensive (?).

Carol in Jacksonville

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

If they are honey bees maybe a local bee farmer would be willing to come get them for free.

• palmcityfl
    10 years ago

Bee populations around the world are in serious decline due to overuse of pesticides. Consider yourselves fortunate to have bees on your property. Many pest control companies that advertise "bee removal" actually kill the bees. I wouldn't use any company that doesn't guarantee the bee colony would survive the removal.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yes, i should have specified that by "professional" I meant either your local municipal authority (some will relocate bees) or a beekeeper or a pest control company that has a contract with someone who knows how to handle bees, for your own safety as well as that of the bees.

Carol, where were the bees? Bees in houses usually get into the walls or crawlspace to make hives and yeah, it's a big deal to move those.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Writersblock, I don't have any more details except that it was someone who would save the colony, not destroy it.

Carol