Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night blooming jasmine won't flower

Posted by Greenie1 10-Ft. Lauderdale (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 19:54

My jasmine has no flowers at all. It's about 10 feet tall and obviously healthy; in fact, it seems to think it's a tree. I've trimmed it back to keep it about about that height. I don't fertilize it as I heard that encourages growth instead of flowering. Is it just early, as I read they often don't flower until July or August, or is something amiss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night blooming jasmine won't flower

Is it getting enough sunlight ?

If you've been getting a lot of rain it could just be putting out a bunch of new growth and will flower when it dries out a bit.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 7:33

One of mine is flowering but not the other. They flower on new growth so pruning it would cause new growth and flowers. Oddly, the one blooming is in shade.

o

Make sure there is no light source like a street light or porch light shining on it at night. They need pitch black nights to develop the night blooming flowers. Some plants are very sensitive that way, others not so much. One of mine flowered the other did not until I cut off the automatic porch light. It may have been coincidence, I don't know, just saying what worked.

Lou

o

I keep mine as a large shrub, and prune them very hard when they get too big. I've even taken them down to bare sticks. They flower profusely about two months after I do this.

Now what in the heck is out there eating the leaves, that I never see morning, afternoon, or night, drives me crazy! It gobbles them up and has to be huge, leaves lots of poop like a tomato hornworm does, but I still can't find it. I've been using imidacloprid on them and it works, but I worry that I'll kill any night feeding moths by doing it. On the other plus side, the black ants don't farm aphids on them anymore either.

o

Hmmm the cestrum nocturnum that bloom here the best seem to be the ones on the front flowerbed and they get light from the windows in the house at night plus the porch light that stays on most of the night.
There are 5 huge ones out there.
I have more in the back yard and they flower pretty well back there in total darkness too. They do bloom on new growth. I cut mine back (if they didn't die back in the winter) then feed them a bunch of miracle grow and top dress with composted chicken or rabbit manure. They seem to flower best in full sun.

If you keep trimming them back a little after each huge flower flush you can keep them blooming till frost.
I keep a few in pots as well
Cestrum Nocturnum photo CestrumNocturnum.jpg
Hawk Moths love the nectar
humb moth photo 100_3420.jpg

I do also have an Indian Night Jasmine Tree (Nycanthes arbortristis) that seems to like total darkness at night. It also blooms on new growth.
Nycanthes arbor tristis aka Indian Night Jasmine photo IndianNightJasmine-1-1.jpg
Indian Night Jasmine1 photo IndianNightJasmine_zps483cb053.jpg

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:29

o

My parents live in panhandle Florida area and they have several of these. They generally bloom end of July until frost for them. It gets full sun and plenty of water. Hope that helps. The perfume is overwhelming at times and my mother likes to bring blooming branches in the house which perfumes the whole room for days!

o

Well, this is just not to be. I started trimming this bush (which also is getting the heck eaten out of it by something), when a redbird flew out. I found a nest with two babies in it. I took some pics that I'll try to post. Oh well, I'd rather not bother them than deal with a non- blooming bush. Plus it's fun watching Mom fly in and out with food for her babies.

This post was edited by Greenie1 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here