Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

Need help with awful rental house landscaping

chinchette
11 years ago

I have to fix up this investment property right away and get a tenant. There will be a lot of pressure washing and painting. I don't know what to do with the awful state of the yard. I would like to plant some hardy bushes that don't require much maintenance. The main problem is that the yard has become just sand and weeds. Help! What would you do?

Comments (15)

• tinael01
    11 years ago

I have 12 houses just like this one and I don't do anything but cut the grass and keep the trees safely trimmed. We maintain the houses well and if something breaks we fix it, the paint is nice, etc. but the yard.....no. They don't take care of it and I don't plant.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its true that its difficult to get renters to take care of yards. This one has a sprinkler system, but the tenant turned it off. There is no grass at all. I think it will be hard to rent for what it is really worth, considering the neighborhood and the inside, due to the yard. Its in zone 9b

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

I would recommend some drought tolerant landscaping with gravel as mulch. I would recommend a pindo palm, yuccas, cactus. etc.

• tinael01
    11 years ago

Since thre are sprinklers go get bahia grass seed and get the yard going. Then put some walter's vibernium or silver buttonwood bushes or something native in front of the windows. There are other natives available too that would work, so you can go to a nursery and ask them to show you. Natives, once established, have a better chance of surviving a tenant. Pick something whats roots won't grow into the house masonry causing problems later. Good Luck!

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Muhly grass is pretty and drought tolerant.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Indian hawthorne is another one that's pretty self-sufficient once it gets going.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really think that the hawthorn and vibernium etc will work out and survive even if the renter doesn't water. I have those growing elsewhere with no water. However, its the presentation of the lawn that I am concerned with. I was wondering if I should greatly expand the beds and put things in that survive anything, and then do a small amount of grass.

Or... I could do a section of that low jasmine ground cover. But I guess what I am wondering is about the grass area. What do I do to get that going? Will seed be fast enough? I only have a couple of weeks before I want to show it.

Any ideas on how to make a quick change for presentation of a lawn that has gone to sand?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I believe the biggest suggestion for the quickest change is 'sod'. But this is purely based on my observations of other posts/articles dealing with "need to pretty up my lawn fast..."

• tinael01
    11 years ago

Winter rye won't do well this time of year I don't think...but you can google it. That's the fasted grass to grow and be green. If you mix it with Bahia the Bahia can take over later. I really think unless you sod, which is not cost effective for a rental as tenants will let the sod die, you are really out of luck for the lawn in the middle of summer. I wish I had better news. You can try the extension service info on lawns...maybe they know a trick. They can definately help you with xeriscaping.

Here is a link that might be useful: florida extension landscaping xeriscaping

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How about a ground cover instead of sod?

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

Bahia seed and water the heck out of it for a Month until it gets going. Tell the tenant to keep up on watering the lawn... They probably will for the first month before they get lazy. If the irrigation system is on city water, you can forget it... No tenant will pay that bill and I don't blame them.

For bushes, look what grows well on the road medians (not irrigated by reclaimed water.) Firebush, plumbago, crown of thorns, and Mexican petunia do well here and dont need much care. Use a lot of gravel in the beds. Drainfield rock doesn't look wonderful but it's OK and damn cheap.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Or... I could do a section of that low jasmine ground cover.

That's what I was thinking, put in dwarf Asiatic jasmine plants 3 feet apart and have a dump truck load of mulch delivered to fill in around the plants...does well in sun or shade with very little water.

Tom

• ClassicLady
    11 years ago

I also own rental property. You can replace the grass, then purchase a few plants to liven up the front of house. Just enough to get the place looking good and rented. I have a neighbor at a duplex I own who I pay to cut the grass, twice May to September, and once the rest of the months. Tenants don't want to have the expense of the water. You could offer a tenant a discount to maintain yard. Put it in the lease as an addendum, and if they don't they lose the discount. I offer a $25.00 discount to get my rent before or by the date the rent is due. It works!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, this is a good solution, what Tom said. I will get the dump load of mulch and do the Jasmine in one section, and other landscape plants in the other sections. As per what Classic Lady said, I can have a gardner trim back the jasmine in the summer months and keep it contained in certain areas.

This house is actually on well water, and even with that, the tenant turned it off.

Now I need some advice on the back yard. It is very big and all sand at this point. I can't do the Jasmine there. Bahia seed there?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, this is a good solution, what Tom said. I will get the dump load of mulch and do the Jasmine in one section, and other landscape plants in the other sections. As per what Classic Lady said, I can have a gardner trim back the jasmine in the summer months and keep it contained in certain areas.

This house is actually on well water, and even with that, the tenant turned it off.

Now I need some advice on the back yard. It is very big and all sand at this point. I can't do the Jasmine there. Bahia seed there?