Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saldut

Loquat question

saldut
10 years ago

I have a loquat that finally gave me 5 fruits and they were delish! I'd like to get another and went on-line to research, and understand that they are not really self-pollinating and need another variety nearby.and should be grafted.. I contacted several Nurseries here and none knew anything abt. 'varieties'...they said they are 'self-pollinating', or that the tree needs to be grafted..... not much information out there! Google has good info. but apparently it doesn't apply in the 'real world'...LOL.....'d like to get one local and not pay shipping, if possible....... if you-all have a loquat can you give me input on this? your outcome, do you have a grafted? more than one? variety, if known...output, do you get much fruit and is it good....etc...thanks, sally

Comments (16)

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I have one. It is quite large and we had fruit which the squirrels loved. We did save a few for ourselves.

The tree was here when we bought the house so I have no idea how old it is or if it is grafted. We don't have any other Loquat trees on the property or in the neighborhood so I assume it is self-pollinating.

Why don't you wait a year and see what happens. These are tough trees which don't require any care (at least we haven't done anything to it).

Fruit

Immature fruit

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Sally

Loquats are the easiest trees to grow, I got mine for $5 at a nearby nursery and have been getting fruits since the first year planted. It is a very good variety, the lady didn't know the name. But since they are so prolific I wouldn't want to grow a not so good variety. It is very good fresh and in fruit pies where you can taste the fruit. I keep it trimmed to give a nice umbrella shape and is evergreen. I don't ever fertilize or spray, it only gets shaped and the fruit gets picked.

Loquat tree this morning

The ripe fruit in February

Silvia

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful trees Jane and Silvia!!

I too have a Loquat tree but mine is definitely a seedling and it has very delicious fruits ( very lucky)...it fruited about 1 1/2 years after I planted it, I know its def. not grafted. They do have some named varieties ( I'm guessing grafted?). Try calling Jene's Tropicals since you live in St. Pete...either she has them or possibly special order one for you.

I only have one tree and it fruits on its own...but, several of my neighbors do have this tree since its very easily grown from seeds...so I don't know if that helps with the pollination...

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I had one tree that was here when I bought the house I'm in now. It's old and in bad health, but produces fruit every year. I never get any because the squirrels beat me to them. Seeds sprout prolifically in protected spots. I transplanted two saplings to other areas of the yard a couple of years ago, and they've grown quite large, but no fruiting yet. Very easy to grow and relocate, they get no special treatment (just lawn fertilizer and sprinklers. Even if I get no fruit on them, I think they're attractive trees and I'm happy to have them. If anyone wants a seedling, you're welcome to come dig one out my my yard.

• palmcityfl
    10 years ago

I've tried for years without much luck to find loquat trees of named cultivars. Almost all nurseries in Florida sell trees grown from seed, and most trees are sold for landscape purposes and not for their fruit. One rare exception is Pepes Plants in Wilton Manors, they have grafted trees of cultivars available. http://www.pepesplants.com/loquat-trees.html. Excalibur Rare Fruit Nursery in Lake Worth may also have grafted cultivars.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

We have one large loquat outside our bedroom (good producer), another smaller one on the other side of the house, and a very large one down in the woods - with its bazillion babies.

I had thought I'd dig some of the babies up and sell/give them away, but if they won't bear good fruit...

Will most varieties need to be grafted to produce well? Or should I maybe try to move a baby and see what happens?

-- though I just asked my loquat-eating daughter if the smaller tree up here produces fruit, and she said not very often, and it's usually not as good as on the big trees.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I'm sure my tree is not grafted. But it produces tons of fruit but the squirrels, birds and raccoons grab them (saw 4 raccoons in the tree one night with bunches of fruits in their hands munching away). The fruit has to ripen. If picked too early they are sour. When they turn bright orange they are sweet as candy.

I don't think you need grafted trees to get fruit. I don't do a thing with this tree and it is packed with fruit.

Jane

• saldut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you kind folks, I appreciate the feed-back...I made some calls, and Jene's Tropicals here in St Pete is getting some Loquats in next week, she says they are grafted and the price is $35. for a 3 gal.., not bad.... Kathy's Korner on Haines Rd. is going to order some in but they are not grafted, for $29. Florida Gulf Coast on Haines Rd. can get grafted, named variety,15 gal... for $89. to order..... Carroll's doesn't carry them, Dolin's doesn't either. Willow Tree on 49 St.. has 7 gal. for 49.95.....even tho' they are prob. not a specific variety and most seem to be not grafted , I guess I do have a good selection to choose from, and think I might get 2 of then, different vendors and different varieties, so there should be good cross-pollination.... I have learned they are not a citrus, they are related to pears, so guess the Citrus Greening will not affect them....... LOL ..... Thanks again for all the information I really appreciate the help, you-all are the best......sally

• saldut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia-- I like the way you have shaped your tree, it makes it easier to reach the fruit, and I plan to do likewise... and those pastries(?) look delish! My tree gave me just 5 fruits, w/one large seed, when I researched I learned some have more seeds, apparently they are all different....thanks, sally

• whgille
    10 years ago

Good morning Sally

I hope that you find the best loquat tree, I only have 1 tree and nobody around me has another and produces a lot of fruit, more than we can ever use ourselves and friends, it is not grafted. It is very ornamental and the good thing is that produces so early, that you can enjoy fruits in winter, cold and heat does not bother it. I saw few growing in Italy when it was very cold in January.

Silvia

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

It's possible that our big trees aren't grafted, and the reason that the small one doesn't produce as well is because it has some serious competition from some trees for light.

• kay656
    9 years ago

More questions, here. BTW, I am in Texas, Zone 8. I was given 3 Loquat fruits as a gift about 10 years ago. I planted all 3 seeds after eating the delicious fruit. Just today (Sept. 30, 2014), I noticed that there are small starts to what looks like fruit or blooms. I'm not sure. I am new to Loquats. 1) Would they be starts of fruit or blooms? I know they are not more leaves. 2) How long does it take for them to do whatever they are going to do? 3) Do Loquats flower before making fruit? 4) Is there a certain month that they are more prevalent in growing fruit? 5) I read somewhere that Loquats don't fruit every year, is this true? Reason? Thank you for all of your help.

• kay656
    9 years ago

I am sorry, I posted on the wrong forum.

• gjcuciz
    8 years ago

Loquat trees will give fruit as seedlings or as grafted. A grafted tree will give fruit sooner and usually better fruit. Usually years sooner.

You can prune them to stay under 12 feet for easy picking and for planting in containers

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just so you'll know, Lowe's and Home Depot (and sometimes even WalMart) will special order plants for you. They have specialty suppliers they can order from. I used to work for HD, and was constantly special ordering plants that were never on the regular deliveries. You can usually get it on the next week's order, two weeks at most.

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    8 years ago

We got ours from a Master Gardener's sale, so I assume it was grown from seed. Took a full 10 years to produce fruit. A grafted variety will definitely produce faster.

Craig

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus