Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Mulberry cuttings

gcmastiffs
14 years ago

I will be pruning my Mulberry trees soon. I hate to waste the cuttings, as they root easily and a 3 gallon named tree goes for $35 or more.

I usually start 3 cuttings in a 3 gallon pot. Mist is not needed, just use rooting hormone and keep the soil moist.

Usually, all 3 take. I keep mine in partial shade when rooting. Once rooted, they like full sun. They can get very large, but for ease of picking, try to keep them under 10'. They take pruning well, and are very attractive. If you have silkworms(G),Mulberry leaves are their preferred food. They do go naked in winter. They fruit in spring.

I'll be home Wednesday and Thursday. Will give cuttings for no cost to interested people willing to drive to Jupiter Farms. Or can bring them to Stuart on Friday and Saturday.

Lisa

Comments (12)

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Thanks for the offer Lisa. I'll see you Friday at the clinic.

• cdbinfl
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa!
    I live close to you in Jupiter Farms. I have been wanting to get a Mulberry tree/bush or whatever you call them but you are right, they are pretty expensive so I always say "maybe next time". I currently have a dwarf variety but would love to start one with bigger berries.

I work during the day but could stop by after work on Thursday or anytime on the weekend to pick up trimmings. I think you can get to my e-mail from here if you want to send me an e-mail or just post and let me know how to get in touch with you.

Thanks for the offer!
    Cherie

• guadua
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that mulberries rooted so easily. I've been wanting to grow more red mulberries. I guess I'll go trim some branches and see what happens.

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MsMarion, do you have a variety preferance?

The East Coast, Pakistan and Wacissa get big, but can be kept under control by pruning hard in summer.

I have the dwarf everbearing as well, but those have teeny berries..

See you Friday!

Cherie, I sent you an email. You are welcome to come today or Sunday.

Guadua, if you want more varieties, please come and get 'em! (G) Where did you get a red Mulberry? Are the fruits red, or is that the genus?

Lisa

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Lisa I'll let you pick for me. I think the only mulberries I've ever tasted were the one we picked at Excalibur from that HUGE tree.

Peati sends kisses!
    See you tomorrow

• guadua
    14 years ago

My red mulberries are Morus rubra, they are wild mulberries from the hammocks around here. I'm growing them for the birds and squirrels and myself if they are palatable. I have three flowering trees and a few smaller ones that haven't flowered. The flowering trees have all turned out to be males.

• cdbinfl
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your generosity! I enjoyed visiting and seeing all your fruit trees. You have quite the variety and are very knowledgable. Thanks for the Mulberry cuttings as well as all the other stuff you shared with me. Got everything potted up and I'll let you know how it goes. Looks like the Queens wreath cutting is going to do well, at least it is not drooping at all, if that is any indication.

Cherie

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Wow Lisa, thanks for the cuttings. I have them root-toned and potted. Here's hoping my black-thumb with cuttings gets at least one to root.

Now I'm off the google the names.

Denise

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cherie and Denise, you are so very welcome! I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.

Cherie, please keep us updated on the Queen's Wreath cuttings. It would be awesome if they can be rooted easily!

MsMarion, I didn't see you Friday, but left early. If you didn't make it by, let me know and I'll bring more another day. I couldn't tell if you took any from the pot I brought.

If anyone else wants Mulberry cuttings, please speak up.

Guadua, I did find out that my Lavender-fruiting Mulberry is Morus alba. I'm pretty sure all my others are Morus Nigra.

Cherie, if the Mulberries do well for you, please feel free to come back for the other varieties. That way, you will have fruit for at least 4 months.

Lisa

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Lisa I didn't get by the clinic. I just couldn't get away. I even tried on Saturday.
    Thanks for thinking of me.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

gcmastifs (Lisa) has kindly sent me some cuttings of East Coast, Pakistan, and Wacissa. If anyone in the DeLand area wants some cuttings or wants to wait for rooted cuttings, let me know. Mary do you want any?

Christine

• wiigodess
    14 years ago

Christine,
    I would love to get some rooted cutting for mulberry trees. I am trying to root the vine thing,(malabar spinach)? I put the other leaves in water and they got roots so put them in the garden in afternoon shade they seem to be doing okay. The vines where in water also but never got roots. I put the vines in root tone and put them in a pot now. Hope it works. Thanks so much Joan (wiigodess).