Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

2 great nurseries-Sarasota

naplesgardener
16 years ago

I just got back from a short vacation (Myakka State Park near Sarasota) and made it into a nursery roadtrip by stopping at Crowley's and Florida Native Plants. WOW. And thanks to those who made mention of Crowley's here on the forum.

If I hadn't read the reccomendation I would not have had the courage to travel a lo-o-o-ong unpaved road far away from civilization to get there. But a fantastic place filled with plant treasures of all kinds was at the end of the road.

If I only had more room in the van! I got Belinda's Dream rose (mentioned here), hercules club, bamboo Alphonse Karr, Aristolochia fimbriata and two others I can't remember right now. They have a great bamboo selection but bring a truck for the big pots.(P.S. He said S. Spielberg's wife buys her bamboo from him for their home on Manasota)

Also I can really reccomend Florida Native Plants very near them. Their name says it all and they really know their stuff.

It was fun to buy great plants in person instead of mailordering. Both places had very reasonable prices (seemed to me).

Denise

Comments (10)

• laura1
    16 years ago

Master Gardeners made a field trip to both nurseries a few years ago. I have been planning a trip back with a friend but life keeps getting in the way...and it doesn't look like it is going to slow down anytime soon.

I'm am glad to hear of the good reports and glad you found some goodies.

• tampaart
    16 years ago

I would live a Crowley's and work for free if my wife would let me!

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have the same feeling. If I only lived closer...

• lellie
    16 years ago

I live about 25 miles from Crowley's and have yet to visit.
    What's wrong with me? LOL!

Actually...I immediately begin to go thru withdrawal upon leaving The Island.
    Soon as I cross back over the bridge, I always breathe a huge sigh of relief! Hehehehe

I DO plan on going next week, however...come Hell or high-water.

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

My husband owed me big-time, a few years back. He had talked me into TWO ham radio classes, nine hours each of tec talk, two good gardening Saturdays in a row. I decided that he owed me PLANTS for this, and a trip to a good botanical garden where he could listen as I said "Oh, there is a mature grumichama! That's what mine is supposed to look like!" to my heart's content.

So we went to Selby, and afterwards, to Crowleys. Wow, what a day, and at Crowley's, I filled his car with leafy joy.

I did see the native plant nursery on the way, and didn't stop. Next time I will.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

I make it out there about once a year, and try to hit Tropiflora at the same time. It's like a plant day trip. Sometimes I don't even buy anything, but I love walking around looking at what Crowley's has.

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

How can you NOT by something. At Crowleys plants waved their leaves and flowers at me, they jumped up and down, they snagged me with their little thorns, they sang, they followed me, they wafted me with their perfumes, they jumped into my arms, they dangled fruit in front of me and they ran to my car and waited...it was amazing. And even kind of spooky.

I only stopped because there was not one gasp of space left in the car. Or the checkbook.

• annafl
    16 years ago

I was just there a few days ago. Pure joy. Got some really cute things and of course intend to go back as soon as I can recover. Kathy has a lot of yummy fragrant plants right now. I was in heaven just walking around. I am only about 35-40 minutes away, so the trip isn't bad.

Anna

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

For you bromeliad fans, Michael's is right around there in Venice. I haven't gotten around to going there but the folks on the Bromeliad Forum talk about it in hushed tones.
    It could really be a break the bank day.

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

We love Crowleys too. My b-i-l came down from Tampa Saturday of Memorial Day weekend just to go with us - I was worried because I was afraid after we'd told him how fabulous it was he'd be disappointed but it took him no time at all to be dragging out pots as fast as he could. Don't know how much he spent but it was good that he has a big suv.

I can always find something there that is unusual and that I can't live without another minute.

Suzanne