Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

It's FIG picking time!

I have 5 fig trees. Three of them are Celeste, one LSU Purple, and a new addition this year is Alma. The mature trees are about 9 years old.

The Celeste figs are starting to ripen now. I pick them when they swell, turn medium brown, and have cracks in the skin. As this point they are one to two days to ripening. I think that picking them a little early improves the flavor but the main reason is to prevent the birds and squirrels from getting there first.

This evening I picked the darkest fig to ripen on the counter:

Christine

Comments (39)

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

My mouth is drooling and I would love to taste some fig preserves made with lemon slices on a hot biscuit. Enjoy and thanks for sharig. Linda

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

I never get a bowl full, as I eat them one by one as they ripen while I weed the garden. lol I have brown turkey. I was always going to try one of the others but ran out of room. Hubby doesn't like them anyway. lol

• whgille
    14 years ago

Nice figs Christine! I always have figs one way or another. Fresh, dried, preserved.

Mine are fruiting too. I have Brown Turkey and Alma. My favorites I had them in Arizona, Black Mission and a green variety from Asia, very rare.

Silvia

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

Christine - your photos should be in the dictionary under - perfect Fig trees . Just breathtaking !
    This has been a great year so far for figs .
    My Brown Turkey has the most fruit ever .
    They are ripening now - a bit early compared with the past years but no surprise with this heat .
    Fresh figs from the tree taste nothing like you would imagine ! They are SOOOO good !
    I love finding the deep dark ones - almost over ripe - that the critters missed . Tastes a lot like Fig Newton filling .

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I love figs. Eating them fresh from the tree or cooking with them. My tree is about 5 inches tall but in a few years I expect to be harvesting my own figs. I can hardly wait!

Christine, I may have gotten this little tree from you. Or was it Melissa? I'm so bad at remembering who gave me what.

Kate

• sunnystate25
    14 years ago

Your figs are very good!
    Seems like I have problems this year with my small fig tree that had many figs last year. I don't know what type it is but they were big and purple.
    This year leaves are mostly small, and there are not so many of them. Some very first leaves on the bottom are getting light light yellow and fall. 2 months ago it started developing 2 figs but they fall off in small size.
    I am not sure if it needs more water or fertilizer....
    I forgot what month I had figs last year and was thinking mine is still growing, but you are having figs already.

Anybody knows what it could be?

ana, Orlando

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia, I was thinking that I should make some preserves this year. I did think of dehydrating some too. I know one thing not to do is freeze them because they lost their flavor one year when I tried that.

Mary, thanks for the compliments. I have to enjoy my "perfect looking" trees while they look good because the dreaded rust fungus comes all too soon very late summer. It's amazing how the figs can be sweet as candy especially when we don't get too much rain at harvest time.

Kate, if you are talking about the runt rooted cutting at Silvia's BBQ get-together, yes the Celeste was from me.

Ana, fig trees love to stay moist. Having at least 4 inches around the base of the tree helps with that. Take a look at the strip of mulch that I grow mine in. That mulch layer is very thick, and I keep it thick. So, I would say add more mulch, water more often, and fertilize it if you haven't done it in a while. Next year you should have a great harvest.

Christine

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Great looking trees. Seems like the biggest problem is the animals getting to eat more than we do. I'm trying to grow in pots in a screen enclouser, my trees are young but have a few figs on them. I did get about 20 breba which were ok hopefully the main crop will be better. May I suggest you post on the fig forum and figs4fun it wold be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sal

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal---I didn't know there was a fig forum. Ok, I'll post some pictures there. What is figs4fun?

Christine

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Figs4fun.com is another forum dedicated to figs great info and a lot of the same posters as the gw fig forum. I am very new to this and both of these forums have been great and the posters have been great also it is such a pleasure to chat with such nice people.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I took more fig pictures. This is more Celeste figs.

Close up of Celeste fig

I also have a LSU Purple fig tree that has started to produce now.

The LSU Purple fig tree is not as compact of a tree as the Celeste. I have to give this tree severe prunings to keep it smaller. It also does not produce as many figs.

Any body have any good fig recipes?

Christine

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Fig trees! I won't show pictures of any of mine, since my dogs eat the leaves and the freakin' chickens leap up to decimate the fruits! Mine look ugly, because they are so popular!

I love Figs and have many varieties. Only 2 are in the ground, Brown Turkey and LSU Purple.

We enjoy them fresh off the trees (when the hens are locked up), split and scorched in a bit of butter, or as preserves.

I haven't yet met a ripe Fig that I did not like!

Mmmmmmmm.....

Lisa

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

Do you have the Method for dehydrating? GREAT Looking Trees BTW! I LOVE Fresh Figs

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal---I will post on the fig forum soon.

Lisa---We have some chickens now and I was thinking of giving them the figs that the birds started to eat. The chickens do seem to love fruit. The chickens have a 10 x 16 run area to protect them from our dog and the many hawks that fly around. When you say scotched figs, do you mean pan fried?

ninecrow----Yes, I do have a dehydrator. Someone posted a marinated sliced tomato recipe that I used to make 5 batches of "sundried" tomatoes last month. I do need to use it more. Picked about a gallon of figs tonight so I think it's time to see how dried figs come out. Thanks for the compliment about the trees. They are so easy to grow when you know what they like. Do you have fig trees in your area of England?

Christine

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

Hi, Please can you post some Info on the dehydrator?
    Thanks
    Yes to Fig Trees Here, Mum has one but our Summers are Not hot or Long enough to produce Figs outside. Dunno about under Glass.....

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Wow a gallon. I'm jealous and hungry. A good loaf of italian bread sharp cheese and a nice glass or two of red wine. You could even dunk the bread in the wine. My small blk unknown is just starting to ripen only about a dzn right now the cheese and wine are ready and so am I. Enjoy Bon appetite. Is there anything you do to keep the wildlife away. Nets scent spays ect..
    Sal

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Wow a gallon. I'm jealous and hungry. A good loaf of italian bread sharp cheese and a nice glass or two of red wine. You could even dunk the bread in the wine. My small blk unknown is just starting to ripen only about a dzn right now the cheese and wine are ready and so am I. Enjoy Bon appetite. Is there anything you do to keep the wildlife away. Nets scent spays ect..
    Sal

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

The name Paradiso Fig originated from a tale about an old man in Italy that sat under his fig tree every morning eating figs and bread for breakfast. People passing would ask him if he was alright and his reply was, "This is my Paradise (Paradiso)." So I added the wine.

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

I am also growing LSU Purple and I am getting plenty of fruit. I personally don't care for the taste though. Maybe it is just me, or maybe there are better tasting types. It is far too sweet in my opinion - to me the taste is kind of like eating a heaping tablespoon of sugar with honey on top. Are they all like this?

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Christine, you were looking for a good recipe?
    Try this if you like pork roast. I think it would work with chicken too but haven't tried it.

In the pan with your roasting pork tenderloin or small loin roast, add an onion, a couple peaches sliced into thick chunks and 3 or 4 quartered figs. When the pork is done, slice it and spoon the onion/peach/fig mixture over the top. Yummy!

Kate

• solstice98
    14 years ago

A couple questions about my little fig tree:

It's growing quickly but is still less than 24" tall. I have it in a container. Is it OK to leave it there until next spring or should I be getting it into the ground sooner than that, like maybe this fall?

How soon can I expect to see fruit? If it sets fruit next year should I remove it to let the roots develop more?

Thanks!
    Kate

Original Author
    14 years ago

ninegrow---My dehydrator has got to be at least 25 years old. The plastic is starting to get a little brittle but it is still usable. I have the style that has stackable trays. I have 6 trays so I can dehydrate between 1 to 6 trays of food at one time.

Here is a picture of the dehydrator and the figs that I dried yesterday. This is all I get from 5 trays of figs cut in half.

Oh, Sal, I hate to make you jealous again but I picked another gallon of figs today. (I measured them.) Today I picked more of the LSU Purple than yesterday.

Sal, I can tell that you are really a fig lover! Yes, I do something to try to keep critters away. I will take more picture to show you. Squirrels and the black crows are a problem.

Kate---I wrote your recipe down and I plan on making it soon. It does sound delicious. Thanks. Oh, is the roasting pan covered?

Don't wait to plant the fig tree. Use lots of compost and very thick mulch. Notice in the pictures that I have a wide base of mulch under my fig trees. Their roots like to grow in the mulch. If the tree makes figs next year do not pick them off. This is not a plant that requires the fruit to be removed.

jkrup---I do agree that the LSU Purple fig is not the best tasting. I did like it better dehydrated than the Celeste. But, dehydrated figs are even sweeter. So if you would like a less sweet fig you would probably like the LSU Gold. It is a huge pale green fig that is golden in the middle. I found it to be much less sweet than any other fig I have ever grown. If you grow one, give it lots of room.

Christine

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Info... Maybe we have something simuliar here in England, will look imto it...
    Those Figs Look SO Good!!!!!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I don't cover my roasting pan, but I do watch it pretty closely. If anything looks like it's starting to dry out I put foil over it.

If you would rather do the roast on the grill, then just put the onions, figs, peaches in a pan on the grill with a foil cover. A little white wine and beef or chicken broth in the pan will keep them moist. For seasoning, I like to use thyme but anything you like would work.)

Original Author
    14 years ago

ninecrow---The figs in the picture are ripening to the point where I'm going to have put those in the dehydrator too. I have more figs on the trees to pick today. I hate to see any go to waste. Dehydrating them really extends their life. Yes, they are soooo good.

Kate---I like the idea of cooking the whole thing together on the grill too. I'll try the recipe both ways. I like to season with thyme quite a bit. I keep some growing on my back porch year round along with a few other herbs.

Christine

• dghays
    14 years ago

Very nice figs Christine. If I ever get an over abundance, I'll try to make wine from them.

Gary

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Mmmmmmm.... figgy wine!
    Sounds like a party at Gary's house!

• whgille
    14 years ago

Christine
    I like to use figs as:
    - An appetizer, cut in half and put cream cheese mix with
    chopped pecans.
    - As on add on to a green salad.
    - Grilled as a side dish.
    - Broiled with a sprinkle of sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add
    mascarpone or heavy cream for serving.
    - I also make jams, galette desserts.

I just made a Concord jam yesterday because my family did not like the seeds in the grapes. It is delicious!

Silvia

Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia---You listed lots of good ideas for the figs. Thanks. I need to check out galette desserts.

I should call the Vineyard to ask them exactly what variety the Concord-type grape is. My hubby doesn't like the muscadines but I know he would like those or even a green soft-skinned green grape. I would make jam too if I had some of those Concord-type grapes. I have a feeling that those varieties are hard to find.

Christine

• whgille
    14 years ago

{{gwi:893711}}

Christine
    I don't know the type of Concord it was, but it is really good! I also pick a soft-skinned green grape.
    With some of the figs I picked, I use a green variety, I made chutney, I don't know if you like it. I do, as a side for meats or veggies.
    On the left is the chutney, on the right is the Concord jam

Here is a link that might be useful: fig chutney

Original Author
    14 years ago

I got neglectful the last couple of days and didn't get around to picking any ripe figs. Many got very overripe and spoiled especially due to the afternoon rains that we got lately. Well, they are not going to waste. I picked some for the chickens to eat since they are fruit lovers. To my surprise, lots of honeybees feasted on the sugars in the figs. Hopefully, the bees are from our new hive that we bought.

Christine

• featherhoof
    14 years ago

Cool pics mom!

Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm leaving all of the over ripe fruits on the trees so the bees can get the nectar to bring back to the hive. It should help the bees make some tasty honey.

• linchat
    14 years ago

I keep passing by this topic and I have nothing to add other then, wow that looks great. I just planted a fig tree, I can't wait! :)

Original Author
    14 years ago

Today I picked the first Alma fig. They are twice the size of a Celeste. I mail-ordered this fig tree last winter. It is growing well and has produced a total of 5 figs. Of course, I expect lots more next year. I've grown this variety in the past and found the ripe figs to be quite sweet.

This fig tree in the row of figs in the second pic.

Christine

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal --- Sorry for the delay in response to your question about what I do to deter critters on the figs. Well, I use Bird Repeller Ribbon tied to shepherds hooks. The ribbon works especially great for squirrels and good for birds. The ribbons can also be mounted on the outside branches of the trees, as high as possible. It is a holographic plastic strip that is so thin that is wiggles making noise with the slightest breeze. So, between the holographic reflections and the wiggling noises, the critters stay away.

I like to use shepherds hooks because they are portable. I move them around the yard to where ever they are needed. They are also great for the veggie garden.

Christine

• AmberSky
    14 years ago

My Alma just now has little green balls the size of my thumb tip. I'm so impatient. This is my favorite fig. I planted a Jelly fig last year, but so far, no love. This year I put out a Purple LSU, but it's only job right now is to grow.

Original Author
    14 years ago

ambersky--I found a few more of my remaining 4 alma fruits beginning to swell. I do think that the Alma is a very fine fig too. What is a Jelly fig? The LSU Purple and LSU Gold love to grow, and grow linear to the sky. Those plants need to be severely pruned every year to keep them at a reasonable height and to encourage branching. So, be prepared. Hope your Almas ripen soon.

Christine

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

The ribbon idea sounds great where can I find that. I was also able to pick some figs Brunswick I think It was ok but can't be to ripe or it starts to sour. The other is a small black unknown which is very good both are only 1 yr old trees in pots in my screen enclourser.
    Sal

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting