Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieqsie_fl

Got High Biscuits?

SusieQsie_Fla
11 years ago

Here's a couple I am especially proud of . . . and yes, I know, I know - I've posted shots of this one before!

But I love how I finally got more than one bloom at a time

And another

Anybody else feel like showin' off their bloomers?

Show me yours, and I'll show some more of mine.

Susie

Comments (21)

• tinael01
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh I have never seen such High Biscuts!!! I'd love to see more. :)

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

My second favorite flower, but, darn, those hybrids are temperamental.

Which two are those?

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Fantastic!! All my fancy hybrids have croaked over the years except for a red and orange and a varigated "Snowqueen" A memorable one was called "Norman Lee" would have 12/14 inch flowers!! Sooo many to choose from lol gary

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I just bought one called Hugs & Kisses that is similar to your second photo. I swore I wasn't going to buy more due to the midge gall fly that causes bud drop, but they are hard to resist when you see them blooming.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems like my most troublesome pest is the mealy bug. But it is on everything, not just hibiscus. Bayer Advanced systemic is the way to go, when I can afford it.

I started out with two hybrids my husband bought online in '06. I made my own crosses and they bloomed in about 4 months. The two in the pics are probably my oldest, perhaps 5 years. But then - when I had gotten up to 20 plants - my husband said I'd better stop making so many since they had to be in containers and we didn't have a yard to put them in.

Here's another one of my babies

This one I trained into a tree

Here's the same one, when it was younger, the flowers were different colors

Somehow got a frilly one

And these are the latest ones we bought as tiny cuttings from a grower to introduce new colors, since mine come out pinks, mauves and purples. Unfortunately, the new ones did not bloom in the colors they showed in the pictures, so I haven't gotten any new seed. But they are sure pretty blosoms, anyways.

This one is awesome - I've posted this pic before, I'm sure

Here's another Black Dragon with Purple Firespike in April

I'm hoping to see some of your pics, too. Would love to see how your plants are incorporated into the landscape of your yards, too. I'm really lacking in that area, so I need your expertise.

Thanks!

Susie

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

We have a City Slicker. Every time it blooms, the colors are slightly different.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Beautiful Susie, you're growing them all in containers? What potting mix are you using and what do you feed them?

Tom

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Oh Susie, I love your hibiscus!!! I would buy them in a heart beat if I found them for sale. :o) I think I have black dragon, at least it looks like that. I love your frilly ones especially. I know I am so bad, but I still haven't learned how to use that camera. One day I will, if I ever get out of the bushes.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I use the Bayers too for the midge gall, same as you, when I can afford it.

• User
    11 years ago

wish we could grow them, myrtles blooming here, not the "wow' factor those produce. beautiful pics and plants....thanks....m

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Everybody - glad you like.

Hi Tom - yes, I've had these guys in pots for a long time. Sometimes I pot 'em up into bigger pots, but sometimes I move them down into smaller ones. Sometimes their roots get too waterlogged if the pots are too big.

I used to only always use Wal-Mart's Expert Gardener potting soil, but they don't have it anymore. And I used to just fertilize with a Bloom Booster-type liquid. One year when I was into plumeria and I read how bad the "blue stuff" is for plumeria, I used Bill's Perfect Fertilizer and Spray-n-Gro for the hibiscus as well as the plumeria. Now I am trying Sea Magic with the blue stuff, since I only have a few tiny seedlings of plumeria I'm waiting to bloom.

I think being in Zone 10 all those years, right on the bay/Gulf, is what made my plants do so much better than I deserve. I certainly don't know what I'm doing - I just play around like I know something. And if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't even know so many plants even existed!

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Susie, I used that potting soil too from Walmarts and love it. I used to use Jungle growth or something from Lowes but they stopped making it or the last bag wasn't very good. I wish they'd stop changing things like that. :o)

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I second that about the Jungle Growth, it was wonderful stuff initially but it's garbage now. I did like Expert Growers mix and didn't realize they had stopped making it, now I'm just making my own variations of Al's mix, but happier with lesser amounts of fines.

Tom

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I used to grow them in Tampa but have given up here in Brooksville. They are gorgeous. No more tropicals for me to turn to mush in the winter.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I keep coming back to these pictures and drooling. LOL

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy - want me to start some seeds for ya ?- maybe I could get some more like these . . . or even prettier!

My seeds are really old, though , I'll let ya know if any germinate.

Here's another one from April

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Susie, yes, that would be nice if I could get some seeds from you. :o) That picture you just posted is too pretty for words.

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

Two or three varieties at HD today in Valrico. One was Spin the Bottle and another was Stolen Kiss if I remember correctly.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

Susie, you have some beautiful babies. After your post I have been trying to hand polinate to get some crosses. So far, all the pods have fallen off after several days. What do the seeds look like? Do you have any tips on polination/saving seeds?

• Helen Zass
    2 years ago

Did you call them high biscuits on purpose? Because that's not how you spell it.