Mostly reseeders.

Comments (13)

• Linda_Brookes
    10 years ago

You have a very pretty garden

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    WOW very nice !! Proves you don't have to get caught up in the "tropical" thing or spend a fortune
    Thanks for sharing !!! gary

• whgille
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

Silvia

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Nice, what kind of flowers are they?

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank Folks,
    I appreciate the comments.
    Amberroses..The petunias are reseeders (volunteers) from the summer petunia, "Barbara Bush", plus Rain Master.
    And three types of black eyed susans. The red is my favorite, a light- shade loving, salvia called "Yvonne's salvia". The small plants by the walkway are "Splash " polka dot plant. Also there are others not easily seen in this picture like gauras (a favorite), a small type of zinnia, a type of Shasta, dwarf Mexican petunias, vincas, butterfly plants, small purple pepper plants, two types of coreopsis, 3 crepes selected from many volunteers and limited pentas. All these produce volunteers. I even had 7 tomato plants come up all over the yard, for no reason and one sunflower and the craziest, 16 broccoli plants (never had broccoli before).
    Four o'clocks reseed but I pull them out because they will take over.
    Problem with reseeding plants is you never know where they will come up. I didn't expect this batch of petunias and the last black eyed susan batch were not near the palm.
    I try to move the seedlings around when they come up.

I attached another picture.

This post was edited by bugbite on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 10:43

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

bugbite - Love the natural English garden style! Are you saying that the Black-eyed Susans in the pictures re-seed? Aren't they perennials? I've spent money in the past trying to grow Black-eyed Susans but when the season was over, so were the plants. Never had much luck with them but I see that you've got it mastered.

Christine

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Wow, your garden looks great! What area?

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Fantastic. I'd love to have something that took care of itself like this. I've gotten stuck in the drugery of hibiscus and gingers because that is what we see so much of. Not that I don't like them. I am also forever throwing money at puney box store F1 annuals to put around them and I'd so much rather get something reseeding itself.

I think I'll go looking for some better suited good seeds now. Thanks for the thought. Your gaden looks fab.

Barbie~

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Click link below. Wait a few seconds till the pictures change. Possible source for reseeding plants from seed, more for our climate.

Christine,
    "trying to grow Black-eyed Susans but when the season was over, so were the plants." Yes, I have the same problem. I blame it on the ultra tiny black beetles. This year I sprayed and that helped. But I will pull them when I get tried of them. They will come back from seed. Sometimes I shake the plants over the garden to release seeds. I did get a mutant black eyed susan that came up. Different leaves and it is a perennial. A third mutant came up in the fall and is still blooming. It has micro seeds. Would love it to become a permanent winter plant.
    Incidentally I don't claim mastery of any of this; they dictate to me, I don't dictate to them. :-)

Writersblock, Thanks. I am in Jacksonville. One block from the river, 11 miles from the ocean. I state this because I know that each micro-climate in each yard tells us what will grow.

Barbie, One way to do it is to find one really great plant that produces seed and go to the seed exchange site and ask for a trade of your best reseeder for their BEST.
    I received so many hyped seeds directly from seed developers, most free to test, and can't get most to perform in my garden. Getting seeds that work from gardeners just like you and I, helps to build a collection.
    The biggest problem about planting from seed is knowing when to drop the seed to the ground. Each plant knows this. We generally are in a pattern of planting seeds in spring. Nature generally plants in the summer and fall.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe a source of seeds that reseed

This post was edited by bugbite on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 13:42

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

I'm jealous!! Wish I could have that kind of naturalized garden but I don't have just the right spot.
    But I'm going to think about it, thanks to you.
    Loved seeing the photos
    Hester

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Bob
    Your garden is so intense with all the different flowers! I love it all planted to the hilt like that.

I have that lavender petunia, too, and I swear - I never planted it before. Everytime I'd see a baby petunia come up in another potted plant, I plucked it out and put it in it's own pot. Now I have them everywhere. Somehow it even blooms white on the same plant ~

{{gwi:894356}}

Here's one I have reseeding every year since ImAGardener (Denise) gave me some in '07 - Coral Nymph Salvia

{{gwi:894357}}

If anyone wants some seeds of this pale pink salvia, let me know. I let it grow in the pot of this hibiscus so I don't notice how pathetic the hibiscus is now.

And Guara babies pop up in every container plant, too. So I moved them to their own garden, with a couple of torenias that reseeded.

{{gwi:894358}}

Oh and Bob - if you have a bird feeder in your yard, perhaps those little broccoli seedlings came from the rapeseed in the bird food. That has happened to me before.
    Did you let the tomato plants grow so you can have some slices on your burger?

It's good to see you back here and thanks for the slide show, too.

Susie

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Hester

Hi Susie, That's a cool story about those petunias. Pollinate that one that has the white flowers. Now I am cross pollinating my favorite colors and shapes in the petunias. Since I don't get many bees here I am using a tiny paint brush. Can't wait to see what my crosses produce.
    I have been hearing about Coral Nymph lately. People grow it, describe it, but don't remember it's name. I think I will get seeds and try it. I know one person who pulled all her similar red salvia in order to keep the coral color pure.

My favorite summer bloomer is Guara. Your guara display is beautiful. I can't live without it.

And Susie if you look up my sidewalk you will see Narai blooming by the front front. I bought those seeds this time. It was great working with you on that trial last year. I am doing a test on four different types of fertilizer on those marigolds. Much to my surprise they are doing about equally well with each fertilizer.
    This year I got smart and am growing them in tomato cages. So no, I pulled the tomatoes when I needed the cages. I did get a lot of green tomatoes which finally turned orange but they will go into the mulch pile.
    That brocolli looks like brokali (see link). I saved a zillion seeds. Had beautiful winter flowers.
    Nice hearing from you Suzy. I am still thinking about that Marigold site.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Brokali

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Yikes! You actually bought Narai seeds?! Next time, I'l send you some for free.
    I have been passing trial marigold seeds around that I saved from last year. I even sent a variety out to a perfect stranger I met at Lowe's Clearance Rack....
    At our new house I started 5 Yellow Inca seeds and they all germinated - the one that's doing the best rarely gets fed or watered. I hope you'll post the results of your ferti-experiment. I've been patiently waiting for Park's to have a Free Shipping Day so I can get more AlgoFlash and of course they have it on the day I'm spending all day at Leu Gardens and not on my computer..
    Also I can send you some Coral Nymph, too. Last year, I sent some to The Garden Hoard - (a great place to send leftover seeds so more people can enjoy them and get some others for yourself)
    That hybrid broccoli is interesting. I wonder how you pronounce it: broc-A-lie? Broc-KALE-ee? Did you harvest any, or just grow for the flowers?
    Anyways, let me know if you want any seeds.

Susie

And I'd like to see the Narai in the cage!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz