Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Morrenia odorata

thonotorose
9 years ago

I find this wild vine quite interesting. It was growing here about ten years ago in a future rose bed so I pulled it out. I remember that it had these nondescript pale green flowers that smelled (to me) strongly of jasmine. Because of the amazing scent, and its lovely grayish, bluish green heart shaped leaves I notice it often in wilder places.

It is growing on a fence post at a rural intersection and on a post and wire fence near here.

I've always wanted to post a pic here and ask others if they had any info about it.

So today I went on an edible weed walk at a local permaculture farm. It turns out that this vine is from Argentina and Brazil. Not only are most all of its parts edible, most are delicious, especially the fruits.

One source says to pick them when they are the size of a large hens egg. They are supposed to taste like a potato/zucchini mix with a drizzle of honey.

Disclaimer: If you chose to eat some, do so at your own risk. Wild foraging must be done very carefully and with a highly educated guide.

Many pics on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed vine

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor