Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abnorm

Ma & Pa Abnorm...a Vegetable Reunion

abnorm
10 years ago

This season we started 150 Tomato, Eggplant and Pepper seedlings......We planted out one-half of those for ourselves....The rest we shared with Ya'll......OK they're six months old and no photos.....Please tell us: How are the Babies ?

In our garden the tomatos have run their course.....this year the winners were Black Krim...Tomande...Dixie Gold and Pork Chop

The Peppers are the real stars....we've already had a hundred Jalapenos off the 8 plants we kept.....

The one Scotch Bonnet plant was a surprise.....I assumed RED but the pods ripen to a Golden Yellow.....What about yours ? dougandpam

Comments (8)

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't remember if I had many Cajamarca pepper seedlings to give.....the pods start out green with a patch of purple ..... changing to orange and finally ripening to RED...The name translates to "Condor's Beak"

Spicy HOT with a SU of 50,000.....I'm drying these for powder

dougandpam

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

We got a pepper from you guys, long and red!!! Looks hot! Both of us daring the other one to take a bite.....:). Drying two of them for seed, wil re-gift a few I hope! Nice pictures!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Doug, those peppers are looking good! In my garden peppers are also doing well this season and I have been using them a lot in various dishes.

Probably this one that I got from you will turn yellow

Silvia

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

I got an early hot jalapeño plant. It's alive, but doesn't like it here. I've gotten one tiny little japaleno.
    But I really don't know anything about food crop plants, so my results are due to 'operator error.' LOL!

• leahrenee1
    10 years ago

I got a few tomaters from the black Krim, then they cracked and all went to heck, the tomatoes from the Tomande came out nice thought, hubby liked them. (I hate tomatoes so I have no idea.)

The peppers are still all going strong, I have had enough to share with the office from 4 plants!

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Mark....Thanks (in another life Photography was my business ) ......Judy don't take that dare ! That's the cayenne at about 50,000 SU......

Hi Silvia.....That's the Habernaro.....when they are ripe they can top 150,000 SU .....You're right.....Yellow when ripe......(Today the Aji Amarillo is just changing color from Yellow to Orange)

Sorry for the poor production Bridget....see ya next week on your Leu outing

Thanks for the photo Leah....Nice 'mater....and good luck on the continued harvest......

thanks........ dougandpam

HABERNARO:

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

I've enjoyed trying the little bit I have as far as food crops. I think it perhaps doesn't want full blown sun-up to sundown exposure?
    The tomato plants nearby are trying to shade it... we'll see what happens. It has flowers on it... so I guess it's not done yet?

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Hi all - I can't tolerate hot peppers at all, so I stick with the sweet ones. I tried a different variety this spring called 'Orange Blaze'. It's a "baby" bell, much smaller than a regular bell pepper. As you can see, it is a good producer.

leahrenee - I find 'tomande' to be a very disease resistant tomato. It even does great in the fall when growing tomatoes are more difficult to grow compared to the springtime.

Christine