Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

My first hydrangaes

Rhonda
10 years ago

I visited my plant lady down the road today (she starts all her plants). She had some very pretty pale pink lacecap hydrangaes in 3 gallon pots for $6 :) since I just put in a shade garden i had to buy a few.
Since our soil is mostly sand, I added some good rich soil and watered them well.they will get morning sun then shade the rest of the day except for about an hour when the sun is setting.
Will they do well in North central Florida if they are out of the afternoon sun and get watered often? Thanks all.
Rhonda

Comments (9)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes they will! I love hydrangeas. After quite a few unsuccessful attempts, I have started to get better at propagating them. I have a mostly shade yard now and have lots of places that I want to put hydrangeas. I bet your will do well for you and be gorgeous! You are doing everything right.

Here are some on the north side of my house from a few years ago. They are getting ready to bust out with blooms this year but are not there yet.

Carol in Jacksonville

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, I'm so glad to hear that I can grow them here. Your's are absolutely gorgeous! I may find myself getting hooked on them :)
    Thanks!

10 years ago

If you like mopheads, check your local Lowes for a variety called Perfection. $12.98 (corrected via edit), I think, for a 1.5 gallon plant. Well worth it because:

1) It is a rebloomer. (Many hydrangeas have one blooming period during the spring/summer and then they are done until the next year).
    2) It has fully double blooms - each tiny flower has a double layer of petals.
    3) It has extra sturdy stems that hold the blooms upright.

See link below for my post with a photo in the Hydrangea Forum.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Perfection

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 9:39

10 years ago

By the way, they are NOT labeled as "Perfection" on the table sign or pot tag. You will have to identify them by 1) the flower and 2) a white wrap/slip-through tag around the trunk of the plant. If you can get down to the neck/trunk of the plant, all of the ones at my local Lowes had a tag from the grower that said "Perfection" and the date (probably that they stuck the cuttings for rooting).

Carol

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I love that one..I'll check Lowes on my lunch tomorrow. I'm usually there at least once a week checking their clearance racks lol
    I fell in love with hydrangaes when I was little. My Grandma Annabelle grew them, she said they were named after her :) I'm so glad I can grow them in Florida.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I just bought a blue hydrangea. I am wondering just how much sun it can take here in NE FL? My north side only gets sun very briefly (like hardly at all) due to all the oak trees on that side of the yard. I have always wanted to try hydrangeas! I saw some at a local nursery that were called Bridal something or other. I am thinking of going back to get one lol. I also would like to find a nice green one and a white lacecap type.
    ~Lyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I went back to that nursery and bought the hydrangea I saw there last time (ya I'm a sucker lol). It is called Blushing Bride (from the Endless Summer Collection). It starts out green then goes to white and then 'blushes' to light baby pink. It is really beautiful.
    The nurseryman said put it in morning sun with afternoon shade in our area. It is in a 1 gal but close to 2 ft tall and 2ft wide. I will have to either repot or put it in the ground very soon.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds beautiful Lyn. I think that afternoon shade is a definite yes for Florida.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

My parents have several large bigleaf hydrangeas growing in their front yard, three across the front of the house and several more under some live oaks ( I don't know what the cultivars are though). They get watered twice a week and are thriving. The ones along the house get mostly sun for the first half of the day and then are in shade in the afternoon. They are all in full bloom right now and are gorgeous!

There's also the native Oakleaf hydrangea which I think is a great addition to the garden, I have one large bush and my parents have two. The blooms are white and form long clusters but they only bloom in the spring to early summer. Their folliage is really neat looking and the way they shed their bark adds an interesting touch. They do get huge though!
    Also, once established they are very hardy and pretty drought tolerant.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.floridata.com/ref/h/hydran_q.cfm

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH