Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Plant ID

jane__ny
10 years ago

Anyone know what this is. It was growing in Selby and used as a border plant. No name tag. I'd like to find it.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (14)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, forgot the pic.

Jane

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

Best I can tell, it looks like an "Oyster plant," "Moses in the Cradle," "Rhoeo Tricolor," real name: Tradescantia spathacea (syn. Rhoeo spathacea).

Supposed to be fairly invasive, iirc. It is definitely supposed to be rather irritating to dogs/cats/human skin. I have one, and didn't have any issues with it when I repotted it after getting it home, but before researching it. Now that I know it can cause problems, sometimes I image irritation after I handle it.

It has a much more attractive growth outside, judging by your pictures! Mine is inside and fairly etiolated, but otherwise happy enough.

This post was edited by aharriedmom on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 7:01

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Ooooo, great word! I had to look it up!

Etiolate = to cause (a plant) to whiten or grow pale by excluding light; to cause to become weakened or sickly; drain of color or vigor; make feeble.

I am starting to really like oyster plants. For no good reason, I used to think they were not all that attractive - like Purple Queen (again, no reason) - but the ones in the photo look great!

Carol in Jacksonville

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 9:25

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

These dwarf forms are sterile so do not produce seed and spread. Just the large species forms seeds and can become a nuisance.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

These dwarf forms are sterile so do not produce seed and spread. Just the large species forms seeds and can become a nuisance.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I assume it is a shade plant?

Jane

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I bought mine as a houseplant, one of my first houseplant purchases. So I would assume it will do well in shadier spots, but I don't know about how much sun it can take.

Eric - how would I know if mine is a dwarf or not? It was only marked "rhoeo tricolor," I think.

Carol - Ha, I learned that word on the succulent forum when I posted some little succulents I got at a baby shower last year (in California, I carried them on the airplane, lol) for identification. Someone pointed out they were etiolated. :) (I have the worst luck with succulents of all plants.)

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I have some, seems to like light shade or shifting shade. I have the smaller variety and it is not invasive. I have them on the edge of my oak tree shade.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all.
    Where does one find plants like this. I'm in Sarasota and maybe Troys or Farm & Garden?

I'll take a look,

Jane

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I tried that one here several times and it just died. The common one does fine, both the dwarf and the full size. The full size one is about a foot tall or more, while the dwarf is only about 6 inches. The one in the picture is a dwarf. :o)

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

'Tricolor' is a dwarf form. They do grow in shade but look best in bright shade. Too deep of shade and they will lose their color and grow sparesly.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

'Tricolor' is a dwarf form. They do grow in shade but look best in bright shade. Too deep of shade and they will lose their color and grow sparesly.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I agree, too much sun, the stripes lose their distinction. Looks great in a pot on a table on front porch, facing south with roof, so just a few minutes of sun very early AM and late PM, east window inside for winter.

Makes a ton of side-stems/branches with aerial roots that propagate/share easily. No flowers (yet, if possible) in 2 years of captivity.

IMHO, the pictured patch of plants looks fantastic but some of the appeal is lost in the ground since the back of these leaves is as good, if not better, than the top. I've been considering moving this to a hanging pot with something dangling around the rim... to be hung at almost eye level.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

Oh! Maybe I'll start cuttings of mine and put them in hanging pots outside.

Since reading this thread, I would randomly think about why I would "never put it outside," and I believe it may have more to do with the irritation issue with pets than thinking was invansive. But a hanging pot - brilliant!

(Actually, maybe I'll start cuttings in the house, and move the big plant outside, it has enough growth, it'd look terrific in a hanging basket.)