Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_brookes

Which Brugmansia grows well in a pot

Linda_Brookes
10 years ago

I've never grown Brugmansia before, truth be told, I'd never even heard of it until I saw one growing in a garden in my neighborhood a few days ago. I'd like to try my hand at growing one, but would like to have it grow in a pot. Will they grow happily in a pot, and are any particular varieties more suited to growing in pots?

Linda

Comments (11)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i've been looking for one to grow in a pot in the center shrub bed . I have grown then before but in the ground
    where they grew like weeds lol. If you look around yiou'll find there are mant varieties in color, size even foliage variagation. Mine tended to "overgrow " requiring a lot of pruning BUT I had a larger cultivars . Don't see why any of them would not grow in pots?? gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Some brugs do tend to grow much larger than others. Some are also more straggly growers so don't look as nice as the more compact brugs that grow fuller. Some brugs do not have as large of flushes (as many flower that open at once on the plant).
    Most brugs will do okay in pots but some require much LARGER pots to really do well.
    One trick around this is to drill holes in the side of the pot and sink it into the ground.

Lemon Meringue is white and is a triple bloomer. The tops of the flower which unfold first are white and then it kind of tiers down to yellow on the inner parts. It loves to be in a pot!! I have had one in a pot for several years. This year I put it in the ground and it is really doing well. It stayed around 3-4 ft or so in the pot but is growing larger in the ground now. It gets massive flushes and is very heat tolerant as long as you keep it watered.
    Photo of the bloom
    {{gwi:511752}}

Miss Emily McKenzie (MEM) does well in a pot and will flush massively. I counted 17 blooms open last night on one of my MEM plants.
    {{gwi:468462}}

Daydreams is a double pink that does well in pots.

Mountain Magic is another single pink that does well in pots (some other single pinks that are excellent in pots are Ila Marie, Rosalla, Isabella, Rosamond)
    {{gwi:480799}}

New Orleans Lady is an orange double bloomer but grows quite large. It does best in a pot that is sunk in the ground if grown in a pot. It really loves to be in the ground.

• Linda_Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sultry_jasmine_night thank you for your reply and for the great photo's, I love the look of Mountain Magic. What does MEM mean?

Linda

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

Gorgeous plants!!!!
    Check out Logee's catalog - they grow many kinds of brugs, always in pots. I've had limited success but have a couple in the ground doing well.
    I think the trick is to cut back often to form a full plant.
    Good luck,
    Hester

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful. I had no idea there were so many varieties.

10 years ago

Linda, MEM just is short for Miss Emily McKenzie for lazy people like me who don't like to type all that out LOL!
    I will try to get a pic of it blooming in full flush from the other night. It looked really nice. The blooms are about 22 inches long, good thing it is a tall wide plant this year. It must of liked all the chicken manure I gave it.
    ~Lyn

• Linda_Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. I looked at HD & Lowes by me but they don't have them and my local Nursery had two but they were huge, so I'm still looking for my first Brug.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I just ordeed some white singles from Valleygrow.com
    i just got cuttings due to how easy they are to root.
    You could take some cuttings from your neighbors??? gary

• Irma_StPete
    10 years ago

Linda, how beautiful and informative. Thank you. Question: in photo #2, what is the name of the plant with the pink-to-purple flower?
    Irma

10 years ago

irma_stpete, It is Medinilla, a tropical shrub that get pink bract like flowers on it and then the pink to purple berries (not edible). I read that it grows as an epiphyte in its native environment on the sides of cliffs etc. I just have it in a pot with a lot of orchid bark mixed into potting mix and perlite with some osmocote mixed in. It gets afternoon sun and morning shade (kinda the opposite of what you might think) I tried various locations and that is the situation it likes best lol.
    I have to keep it in the gh here in the winter.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Lyn, those are some beautiful brugs, I have seen them growing in the wild, love the scent...

Silvia