Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Vine ID

jane__ny
9 years ago

My daughter lives on Siesta Key. This vine (we think its a vine) hangs over the wall from the house next door. Very pretty. Would like to get one.

{{gwi:895969}}

{{gwi:895970}}

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (13)

• stuartwanda
    9 years ago

Your pictures didn't show up?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know what happened. Trying to organize my zillions of pictures. Now I can't find the pictures!! lol

Here's a couple, not terribly good but I'll keep looking.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Allamanda?

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a very pretty allamanda vine.

Linda Leaf

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Cherries Jubilee allamanda. :o)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information. I looked it up and its interesting that this vine is growing in Siesta right next to a salt water canal. The info states it doesn't like salt water.

Well I don't live near the water and would like this vine to grow along a fence.

Does anyone grow it and could let me know if it is difficult.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Jane
    they are VERy easy to grow lol Generally speaking they don't entwine or have tendrils so are manageable
    They also come in brilliant yellow and one cultivar is a deep chocolate brown and I believe there is a white cultivar also?? There are shrub types that don't vine You can also get these with variagated foliage
    Good choice for an open fence. gary

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

I am growing it along with other allamandars. They are a woody vine so it won't intertwine with a fence easily. In fact, one I have trained to be a small tree, standing on it's own with a trunk, it is so woody.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!

Now I just need to find one. Any suggestion?

Jane

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Jane,

www. rareflora.com aka gardinos has them. Or you can take a cutting...very easy to start.

Helen

• tomncath
    9 years ago

The info states it doesn't like salt water....

I would say that is not correct. Mine is within 15' of a brackish lake feeding to Tampa Bay. I just trimmed mine up because the Lion's Ear quit blooming due to too much shade from the allamanda.

They are so popular and easy to grow you should be able to pick one of up at almost any local nursery.

Tom

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's beautiful, Tom. I've only seen it from the other side of a wall. I always loved the flowers. Never knew you could grow it like a shrub.

I spent today driving around to nurseries looking for it but only found one (pink) which looked on its last leg! Wilted, appeared it hadn't been watered in a while. They wanted $30.00 so I passed.

I'd be tempted to take a cutting from the next-door neighbors plant. How fast do they grow?

Thanks for all the good info.

Jane

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Never knew you could grow it like a shrub.

This one is growing inside a 6' tomato cage, you can barely see the ropes I use to keep it from blowing over when we get bad storms. Most people trellis them against a wall like the one you discovered on Siesta Key. They are extremely hardy, this one was actually covered over by an Everglades tomato plant one season and was still alive when I pulled the tomato plant out.

I'd be tempted to take a cutting from the next-door neighbors plant. How fast do they grow?

They grow very fast, I've hard-pruned this one every year to give the Lion's Ear a chance to bloom. Not sure where you live but I have babies popping up from the ground around the base all the time. I have not tried cuttings but will be glad to if you'd like. They do throw off seed pods and I did try germinating the seeds but had no success.

Tom