Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Echinacea/Coneflower in FL

Posted by bugmansean 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 0:37

I absolutely love these! I have two growing in my yard now, one plain purple one and one 'Fragrant Angel' white one. Has anyone else had luck growing coneflower here in Florida? If so, any varieties that do especially well? Pictures, perhaps? =D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Echinacea/Coneflower in FL

I have just planted these. I have a white one and a purple one. The purple one seems to be doing better than the white one. I agree they are very attractive.

o

For me, this was a short-lived perennial or a long-lived annual -- however you look at glasses being full or empty, I guess.
At any rate, I enjoyed it for 2-3 years and then it fizzled. It took that long to decide I needed a landscape change, so I haven't replaced it.

~ Robin

o

• Posted by sis3 9b Pinellas (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 13:24

I lost my purple Coneflowers last winter! They were only a few months old.

o

I've grown some from seeds but they never got much past the seedling stage. Some got eaten by snails, some just wilted. But this spring sometime I dropped some seeds into a spot where a mexican sunflower had been, and one of them is growing and is BEAUTIFUL! So not much success but that one is really nice.

o

I planted 2 last year. One perished rather quickly. I guess I didn't water it. The other did very well and came back this year with babies nearby. Here's my patch on the 4th of July.
7/4/10
I plan to drop the spent stems with their seeds around the garden. Hopefully, some will take. I'm also getting White Swan seeds soon. Hopefully, they take, too. This is my favorite.

Sherry

o

Love your garden, Sherry!
kelly

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 0:56

great pic.. does anybody know whether Coneflowers survive and grow in hotter zones like 10b and 11 ??

Izhar

o

• Posted by four 9B (near 9a) (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 20:25

Mine are E. purpurea. Seeds indoors gave me two.
They are in Individual pots outdoors.
One is large, flowering. It was small for a very long time.
Other, from seeds sown later, is small, as it has been for a long time.

Question: Will 3gallon pot eventually limit the potential?
(My inexperienced impression is that the large plant already
should be given bigger shoes.)

o

I'd like to get it established in central florida, warm 9a. Has anybody used it for tea or other medicinal form?

o

I have some E. Purpurea seeds I bought from Johnny's Seed, but when I tried them in the fall I didn't have any luck. The packet recommends stratification... anyone have luck with that method or can give me tips about it?

o

Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 12:05

> Posted by CrosStitching
> tried them in the fall I didn't have any luck.

If you stopped trying before the passage of five full months,
then you may have stopped too soon.
Statement is based on my experience with one small batch of seeds.
Two sprouted, grew.

o

It took 5 mo for the seeds to sprout?

o

Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 22:19

In very favorable conditions indoors.

That length is midrange between two others :
Salvia seeds once waited two years (outdoors).
This past week, some Orange Cosmos seeds sprouted in three days (indoors),
then continued growing at fast pace.

o

When I lived in zone 5, I had coneflowers. I tried several ways of killing them and never could get rid of them.
I'm wondering if coneflowers need the cold winter that they don't receive in FL.

o

Just planted more of my E purpurea seeds. I put them in a wet/damp coffee filter inside a ziploc and stratified them in the fridge for a week per the packet recommendation. Then I pulled them out of the fridge, but kept them in the ziploc. About 5 days later I noticed roots forming from most of the seeds and I potted them in my kitchen in good potting soil no more than 1/8" deep. A couple more days and I now have seedlings! It looks like 90-100% of the seeds have sprouted. I am carrying them outside for several hours of good sun a day until they get bigger when I'll harden them off to the heat. Hoping this will give me several lovely plants by summer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here