Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

White elephant palm

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

hi
Kerriodoxa elegans?? Saw one about half grown at a local nursery WOW lol Figured a good choice for a shady
pot in a protected area have been reseaching them but
can't believe what I read particularly the cold tolerance.
Any experiences?? Also a source ?? was a beauty but not as pretty as 800 dollars lol thanks gary

Comments (10)

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

These are a great palm for a shady location in south FL and the warmer parts of central FL. Despite being native to a totally tropical habitat in Thailand they can tolerate down to about 25-26deg F. But they do need shade and moist soil. They also like a wind protected location as the big leaves can get shred by wind.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Gary, cool palm! There is a lot of discussion over on palmtalk.org. You may want to check it out.

Eric, constantly moist soil as in Australian-Tree-Fern-moist-soil? - pot has to sit in a pan of water type situation?

Carol in Jacksonville

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

Just evenly moist. It isn't very drought tolerant, the edges will brown. It comes from rainforest habitat.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi
    how fast does it grow?? have some other understory palms Noted it also said "slow" for the elephant.
    I found a seedling for 22 bucks but have to mailorder but picked up a couple of oddball staghorns for under 8!!
    Hopefully this will not only grow faster but be far less sensitive than the Joey and Geonomas!! I have mold patches that have outgrown them!! Thanks for the info gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

They are slow but not horribly slow. As they grow and get larger they pick up pace a bit.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Gary did you order it from Eldon Tropicals? If so, let me know how their service and plants are. I am thinking about ordering some stuff from there that I liked.
    ~Lynn

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn
    Local nursery wanted 250 bucks lol Was afraid of seeds for several reasons . The one i bought is in a 5 inch pot so obviously a seedling but with palms germinating can be really tough. The Joey and Geonomas took 18 and 9 months with "ideal" conditions !!
    Dislike buying anything on line as I like seeing what I'm getting but was unable to find another source . The nursery has a very good rating . and it's located in florida .
    Should arrive next week so will find out?? lol gary

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn
    Order arrived last night Guess you'd say fast?? palm is a seedling with 5 fronds 3 of which were mangled 2 very badly. Note attached said "Rest of order deleted due to damage" lol Tempted to send it back gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Hmmm that is very weird about the 'deleted due to damage' part. I would probably keep the seedling it will mostly likely straighten itself out. I always wonder about the quality on these mail order nurseries lol. I hope they returned your $ on the part they canceled!

I know what you mean about the palm seeds. They take sooo long to germinate that I end up losing track of them or something digs them up etc. I prefer to buy at least a small palm rather than try to sprout them.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    decided to keep it as it had a great root system and the new frond has frost and is pinate and I'll never find another lol They didn't charge the credit card until shipped Had some pychosperma elegans germinate in early June (took 9 months for those lol) already taller than the elephant lol My silver Joey has just turned 16 and is still under 2 feet and the seeds took 19 months . Palmists are P A T I E N T lol gary