No, I'm not kidding.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use pee in your garden

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Fish emulsion, blood meal, cottonseed meal, poultry & various manuresâ¦

Or are you asking for a brand name?

• Tom
    9 years ago

Most organics are relatively expensive if you wish to spread it over a large area like a lawn unless you can get cow, horse or rabbit manure from farmers or growers. Pee, of course is cheap, but neighbors tend to frown on people peeing on their lawns at all hours.

It would help to know what you want to use the fertilizer for. I use Espoma products for my plants. They are organic and they make various formulas for different plants. I buy a lot of Flower Tone, which is excellent for uh...flowers.

I used to buy 50 pound bags of rabbit food, which is mostly alfalfa, for my roses. They love it--but I needed to water it in right away or it tended to be eaten by all sorts of critters, not only rabbits.

And then there is always milorganite, which is claimed to be organic; it is high in iron and nitrogen and doesn't tend to burn plants or the grass. In my experience trees really like milorganite--especially oaks.

• dclegg_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your response. I was wanting it for my lettuce this fall.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Most organics are relatively expensive if you wish to spread it over a large area like a lawn unless you can get cow, horse or rabbit manure from farmers or growers. Pee, of course is cheap, but neighbors tend to frown on people peeing on their lawns at all hours.

It would help to know what you want to use the fertilizer for. I use Espoma products for my plants. They are organic and they make various formulas for different plants. I buy a lot of Flower Tone, which is excellent for uh...flowers.

I used to buy 50 pound bags of rabbit food, which is mostly alfalfa, for my roses. They love it--but I needed to water it in right away or it tended to be eaten by all sorts of critters, not only rabbits.

And then there is always milorganite, which is claimed to be organic; it is high in iron and nitrogen and doesn't tend to burn plants or the grass. In my experience trees really like milorganite--especially oaks.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Alfalfa meal is my favorite. It doesn't have the "gross" factor of blood meal, doesn't stink, and is easier to apply than manure.

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

coffee ground

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Our local Target now carries a slightly less expensive brand of natural garden fertilizers - I bought all 3 formulations: Rose & Flower, Vegetable, & All-Purpose. I've used the all-purpose type for greens & it seems to be pretty good.

My garden is small & I grew lettuces in an Earthbox this year, so a bag of the fertilizer @ approx. $7 was plenty enough.

I also use rabbit food as an amendment/fertilizer - get it @ the local feed store - 25# for approx. $8, I seem to recall.

• derbyka
    9 years ago

I order soybean meal by the 50 lb bag for about 25 dollars from a feed store. MG liquid organic fertilizer is pure N so I often give nitrogen loving plants some of that. However, I found that my skimpy, pale lettuce (and several other plants I thought were nitrogen deficient) responded better to potassium than nitrogen so you might want to try liquid kelp fertilizer or greensand.

• rosesr4me
    7 years ago

Derbyka....if your still on this forum....where did you find soybean meal on Florida?