Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Green Sand

tomncath
12 years ago

Decided to post here, we were stepping all over that other post.

I think I want to try it now that Lou has given away his trade secret. I usually make a 25 gallon batch of potting soil at a time. Any idea how much would be needed for this (3.25CF)?

Tom

Comments (18)

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

And where to find it?

Dianne

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

Tom,
    Add around 5% to 10% of Greensand to your potting soil Mix.
    The 40 lb box will amend around 1000 sq. ft. of raised bed.
    The little 5 lb & 10 lb bags you find locally can really add up $$
    That is why I buy the bulk 40lb bag for $9.95 and they ship it in the Large Flat Rate $14.95 postal box.

eBay Item number: 220806632787

Lou

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

I wonder what it would cost to get a ton tote bag shipped from NJ to some point in fla.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lou, I'll go that way.

Tom

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

pnbrown,

With this sad excuse for dirt we are stuck with in Fla. there's not much choice than to amend the crap dirt for gardening or start selling it for hour glass sand. It probably could also be used for making a mortar mix for brickwork if mixed with Portland cement.

I've found buying the 40 lb bags for $9.95 and having them shipped in the Large Flat Rate $14.95 postal box to be the cheapest way to amend my soil here with greensand. I do get a lot of grunting & grumbling from my postal lady when she delivers the box.

I've seen in some local gardening stores where they wanted $9.99 for a 5 lb bag and I also get charged 65 cents tax.
    To me $24.90 for 40 lbs is the way to go.

The spent potting soil goes into the raised beds after use in my tomato pots. I've also used it as a dressing around my orchard trees when mixed with aged chicken manure to add trace minerals.

Lou

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

Lou, I have used florida sand instead of mason's sand with mortar to lay bricks. Works good.

I reckon that tells us something about it. (hint: 1% organic matter, or less)

• tampasteve
    12 years ago

Hello, what's this?

I'm in Brandon, with 3 raised veggie beds, and no matter what or how much I seem to add to my beds, they always turn back into this crappy grey sand. I guess the "good stuff" is percolating down into the yard. If someone's figured out a "magic mix," I'd love to know!

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

tampasteve,
    There is no magic mix to stop the sand from going back to it's original state of gray/yellow useless sugar sand.
    Once whatever we add breaks down to a small enough size it percolates down through the sand and heads for China.
    What we are discussing is how to amend the sand with the missing minerals needed for robust plant growth.
    As far as I know nobody has found a way to stop the 'Garden China Syndrome' that takes place in Florida soils.

Lou

• tampasteve
    12 years ago

well darn. ;)

I'm still interested in what you've come up with, though. I can't get a pepper to grow to save my life. I can grow tomatoes, okra, and almost succeed at squash. Mel's Mix was just too expensive, so I've been using potting soil and cow manure compost from the big box stores.

• new2gardenfl
    12 years ago

I was able to pick up a 50 lb bag of kelp meal at Sunniland in Sanford. Maybe they have greensand also.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

tampasteve,

Go to your local Walmart and buy the big PURPLE bag of pine mulch. Make sure you buy the PURPLE colored bag, as it has the smallest pieces of pine bark.
    When you mix your potting soils use this 5-1-1 formula;

This is for each 5 gallon pot(which is actually 4 gallon size).

5 parts pine mulch
    1 part Miracle Grow potting soil
    1 part Black Kow cow manure

To each 5 gallon mixture add;
    1 heaping tablespoon of Dolomite
    1 heaping tablespoon of Greensand
    Mix well and plant your veggie.

This makes a less expensive type of 'Mels mix' growing soil that has worked well for all of us.

My pepper plants are still making sweet peppers even in this hellish mid 90's heat,

Lou

• tampasteve
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lou!

• dlsm
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I got my Green Sand in the mail today. I'm going to mix it in my fall/winter tomato potting mix. I should have some delicious tomatoes in a few months.

I also have about a gallon of egg shells ground up into a powder to add to the mix.

Thanks Lou for the good info.

Luther

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

This might be interesting for those who like ordering by mail. Utah also has some supposedly pretty amazing volcanic-based mineral fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: natural perlite

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got mine yesterday, we'll see how it goes with my fall veggie containers...follow up report towards the end of the year!

Tom

• derbyka
    12 years ago

Wondering what the verdict was for those who used the green sand for the first time. Did you notice a difference?

• vegtech
    12 years ago

I live in Citrus County, I cannot grow tomato's without blossom end rot? What am I doing incorrect? My soil analysis says I have enough lime, however, that is supose to address BER? Regarding green sand, The biggest misperception of growning veggies is the China Syndrom. If you speak with any golf course superintendant in FL and stay away from your extension agents and the UF horticulture department you'll be much better off. FL has some of the finest soil sientist on the world. They are called Golf Course superintendants. If you want to grow a garden , any garden, visit your nearest golf course and listen. You will discover Ditomouse Earth will stop soil compaction, retain moisture and nutrilize most nemitode activity.

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

Do you mean Diatomaceous Earth? I've only read about it being used to control insects, not soil improvement. Can you explain more?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz