Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Plants and Hedges

Posted by mike80 10a FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 7:28

I am living in Palm Beach County Florida and currently am looking for any suggestions on plants, preferably flowering, that do well in partial to full shade. I am looking for plants to plant between trees and anything that attracts bees, butterflies, or hummingbirds would be even better. Native plants get priority, but any non-invasive is ok. I have lots of room so variety would be nice.

I also have some spots left in my perimeter hedge. I would like plants that get 6'-8' tall and require minimal care. Currently I have alot of firebush and wild coffee. The conditions for a the hedge tend to be full sun.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Plants and Hedges

Porterweeds are great butterfly attractors for the sunny spots. So is Golden Dewdrop, which is in partial shade in my backyard & thriving. Both have purple flowers.

Allowing wild passion vibe to grow up into the bushes will ensure Zebra longwings & Gulf fritillaries hang around to lay eggs.

Floridata.com has a Plant Tag List so you can find plants for FL that attract butterflies...

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata.com - butterflies

o
RE: Shade Plants and Hedges

I have shade in the front of my yard and prefer flowers as well. It is a challenge to meet this issue.

I have found that Orange Justica and Fire Spike will both work in shade and flower.

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' PREFERS shade. I actually have it in my window boxes.

Also, Crossandra 'Orange Marmalade', loves shade and I pair it with the Mona Lavender...looks great together!

Shrimp Plants love shade and hummingbirds love this plant as well.

Florida Gardenia - which is a faux gardenia - can be hedged. It does tend to get 'leggy' and will need to be cut back at least once a year to keep it thick.

Ditto on the Porter Weed....I planted it in the front yard shade and also have it in the bright sun of the backyard. It seems to do well in both spots - which was a surprised to me. Same amount of flowers - which for me, is just a few on the stem. I've never been able to get it to bloom 100% on the flower stem....

Hope these suggestions help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here