Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free tomato cages

Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 7:58

I posted them over at the Exchanges page if any of you locally have an interest.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free tomato cages

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:35

These are heavy gauge tomato cages, not cheap. I hate to send them to the recycling center but if there is no interest by next Saturday that is where they will go....

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 18:30

Tom, those are some nice tomato cages! I am sure somebody will be happy to have them.

Silvia

o

I may be interested depending on your location.... Where in Florida are you? I'm on Merritt Island.

o

Tom, I don't know what size cages you have, but one more consideration before you get rid of them is if you have any interest in epiphyllum (orchid cactus). Tomato cages can be used to pot them up in a nice trellis. See link below for the how-tos (and other videos by the same YouTube poster, if you like epiphyllum). I used my tomato cages for one season for tomatoes... and then reused them for epis after watching this video. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellising epiphyllum with tomato cages

o

• Posted by tomncath St Pete, Z10a, Heat (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:30

Tom, those are some nice tomato cages! I am sure somebody will be happy to have them.

Well see Silvia

I may be interested depending on your location.... Where in Florida are you? I'm on Merritt Island.

FOD, guess when I added "Sunset 26" I lost St Pete in my header...back to St Pete Z10, Heat 10 - no Sunset 26. Even at $16 per double cage I doubt you'll want to make the trip over here for $320 worth of cages.

...and then reused them for epis after watching this video

Carol, these are 3/16" wire, much too heavy to bend that easily....

o

Tom, mine were the really heavy gauge, too. I had to use two pair of pliers - one in each hand - to make the necessary bends. It's not so much the size of the wire as the overall size of the tomato cage that determines if you think you can use them for epi's.

Carol

o

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 18:31

Thanks Carol, I'll save a few.

Tom

o

Tom- I have gone through the exchanges pages and I can't find your post. :-( Did you find a home for them?

What are you looking for in exchange for them?

Barbie~

o

Hi Barbie - It's the very first post on the Florida Exchange page - I've linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: HAVE: Free tomato cages - St Pete Tampa area

o

Ah, so looking on the main forum and through those exchange posts wouldn't have brought me to it, anyway. It's linked up top on the Florida forum... Geez Think I could have figured that out. LOL.

I think these are too tall for me. Anything over the fence gets reported. :-(

o

• Posted by tomncath St Pete Z10a Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:02

I think these are too tall for me. Anything over the fence gets reported. :-(

They are bolted together with wire rope nuts, the nuts can be unscrewed or just cut off with bolt cutters to revert back to standard tomato cages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here