Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Nature Laughs at Us

I find it funny how sometimes I do everything I can to nurture a seedling or transplant and they still end up dying. Then other times, I try to kill off plants (thinning out seedlings in a pot) and somehow the ignored/discarded plant manages to eek out an existance. This morning while checking my flats, I found a Beautyberry seedling that I had severed at the roots when thinning out a pot had found the 'just right' conditions at the bottom of the flat to start setting new roots and continue growing!

Comments (7)

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

You're right about mother nature laughing at us! I can remember the time that my parents had stripped a bed of four o'clock tubers and then rototilled some compost into the bed. Turned out that they missed some fairly large tubers that then got chopped up by the rototiller. Just about every single one of those tuber chunks started growing and they ended up with just as many 4 o'clocks in that bed then when they started clearing it out!

• greenie1_gw
    10 years ago

Makes me think of hurricanes. We tend our gardens and yards with loving care, then along comes a big one and lays everything flat. Such is life in Florida I guess.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I want veggies to grow as easy as weeds and weeds to be as tough as veggies! Why not.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Planted some palm seeds in Sept. literature says 1/2 months to germinate was going to empty out the pots in april but forgot about them On the first noted sprouts ,thinking weeds I emptied them out and they're actually palm sprouts lol Still atached to the seed
    Bet I've killed them by disturbing the roots lol??
    Time will tell ?? gary

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary,

Something similar happened here. I had three coontie seeds that have been sitting in pots for some time now, but then we had a storm come through two weeks ago and blow those three pots... no others, off the ledge of my lanai. As I cleaned up the mess, I found all three seeds. And all three had small sprouts JUST coming out of the seeds. So I repotted them and crossed my fingers. The next day, I found all three on the ground again, once again dumped out and couldn't figure out how since the wind did not pick up again. But I cleaned them up again, repotted the seeds again, this time they were all quite unburied while laying on the ground. The day before yesterday I gave those three pots some water and as I did, some of the soil washed away from coontie fronds that were just breaking the soil surface. So don't give up on your palms, if they're still attached to the seeds, they should be able to recover from being disturbed.

Still no clue what knocked the pots off the ledge the second time.

• laura1
    10 years ago

Well, I got the timing right this year! i planted about 30 gallon size pots of minama jasmine and 10 of perennial peanut. I had to water them a couple of times but then the rain kicked in and they have taken hold. It saved me from an even higher water bill and a lot of time out there with the hose.

On the down side...the weeds are loving it. But i do like to weed so there are some weeds out there with my name on them ;-)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    So far have a total of 15,5 of which have a frond already !!
    Apparently in took 9 months for the shell to weaken enough to allow the embryo to sprout
    have some Bismarks on the 14th month . Lit says 2/3
    but are still firm. Palm/cycad growers are PATIENT!!??
    had some silver joeys that took 27 months and were then eaten by a squirrel !! gary