Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
millions of tiny moths

Posted by hester_2009 9a/b Sarasota (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 8:37

Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone knows what these pests are without a photo(they are too fast and small). I've searched online without success.
When I walk through the yard or water, I disturb millions (yes millions) of tiny, greyish moths. They are everywhere although they started in the wedilla. I don't see any chewing damage, droppings or any other evidence that they cause problems. But I find them disgusting!
Does anyone have an idea of what they are and how to get rid of them? I have to just spray something randomly, plus I have a huge area to treat.
thanks in advance,
Hester

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: millions of tiny moths

I get them in my yard in full force, in summer, I guess, in the shady areas with Spiderwort (which I let flower as long as possible), where Brushfoot butterflies hang out. I seem to feel guilty when I don't respond inwardly to them with the joy I have when seeing a butterfly - even though they may be as positive a part of my yard's balance as the colorful butterflies. Funny how we react to things.

o

When you say tiny, how tiny? Are they at least 3/4 to an inch long? If so, it's probably sod web worms. Bad, they will lay eggs, the caterpillars eat the sod.

o

I have them too. They are in the grass and fly up as you walk. Horrible. Small, white/grey moths.

Jane

o

I mean really tiny! maybe half an inch or less.
Still waiting to see if any of you have these and how to control.
Jane, you know what I mean! I don't have grass, so they are in all my shrubs and ground covers. Seems to me, they are here only in summer. Have you tried to get rid of them?
Thanks,
Hester

o

They are tiny and fly up when we walk on the grass. Its like a cloud. Thousands of them. Very strange, I'm sure they are up to no good. I thought it was some sort of grass moth.

Moving to this State 2 years ago has provided me with a lot of weird gardening experiences.

Jane

o

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 8:09

I was wondering if it could be a skipper. Ran across this but it doesn't quite fit either.

Tom

o

I wonder if they are related to fireflys.

o

I agree they are most likely sod webworm moths.

DM

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Sod Webworm

o

Thanks all, for your responses.
I think it's still a mystery although sod worms are a good bet. The strange thing is, purposefully, I have no grass anywhere on my property. However, my neighbor said he notices them when he was mowing, so perhaps they migrated here. I see from reading (thanks dangermouse) that they don't eat shrubs, and so far that is the case.
So I guess I just live with the nuisance of them and hope the fall sends them on their way!
Hester

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here