Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

Favorite non deciduous trees

ariel73
13 years ago

I am looking for some non deciduous trees. I have a couple of oak trees and a camphor tree in my front yard so I already have plenty of raking to do.

In my backyard I have at least 7 norfolk pine providing me a little shade and some privacy from my neighbors. (I didn't plant these the previous owners did.)

Anyways, it appears that they are slowly dying from the ground up. I do not know what has caused this- if it is from all the crazy weather or disease.

Even though these are not my favorite trees they have served their purpose by providing some privacy. And now that they seem to be dying, I am trying to figure out what to replace them with. Unfortunatley, whatever tree I plant, it is going to take YEARS to get them to a reasonable size.

I am not looking for a thick hedge, but more of a filter so that I am not staring directly at my neighbors house.

Any suggestions?

One of my favorite trees are crape myrtles but they look dead for a few months out of the year and I would rather have something I don't have to rake up after every spring. I already do enough of that.

Comments (6)

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Ariel,

Have you thought of Leyland Cypress Trees? Leylands are the most popular privacy tree in the U.S.A. They grow very fast and thicken to create a solid wall. Its feathery texture is soft to the touch. Stays green all year-round, giving you complete privacy. They quickly adapt to your soil and climate
    * Mature to a majestic pyramidal form
    * Thrive in Growing Zones 6-10
    * Drought tolerant

Lou

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

The Florida Pine (Ponderosa) is a great tree though you might or might not have to rake the needle shed. I usually just mulch mow under it. Once in a while I rake and shred for the nice mulch that results.

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

My favorite neighbor hedge is clumping bamboo. Our neighbors (both sides) were worried at first but I explained it was the "good" bamboo and now they both LOVE it. They don't even want us to trim it from their side.

On one side it gives my kitchen sink window something nice to look at instead of the ugly side of one neighbors house (A/C unit and shed) and on the other side it is between our two pools so we both get more privacy.

Bambusa malingensis (seashore bamboo), Bambusa chungii (barbie blue), Dedrocalumus asper (white or ghost bamboo).

We have a pretty small lot but these and about 10 other bamboos fit on it (with many other plants also).

It is not non-shedding but it drops leaves neatly below as mulch and not in the yard. No raking.

• scogebear
    13 years ago

Would get rid of the Norfolk Pines if possible. Had one in a neighborÂs yard come down in Wilma. I had to have been over 100 feet tall and crushed a telephone pole, wires and a car. The ones left standing lost all their branches and still look terrible. I think clumping bamboo is a great suggestion. Otherwise, a variety of cold hearty palms with some podocarpus hedges would also do the trick. Mixing it up always provides for a better landscape.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Magnolia Grandifolia is evergreen, and it's one of the most sturdy of trees in hurricanes. Although it is an evergreen, you still have to deal with the leaves dropping as they age. I also like Southern Red Cedars. They don't drop needles like a pine does and they look like Christmas trees. Leyland Cypress are nice and grow fast but I've heard that they don't live long. There are other Junipers that don't get as big as Cedars. Other than that I can't think of anything that isn't deciduous and worth planting except for palms. I would be leery of bamboos unless you are sure they are the clumping variety.

• ariel73
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are all great suggestions I will need to look them up to find out some more information on them.

imagardener- i never even thought about bamboo,(clumping of course)-great suggestion.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County