Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

pictures from the garden

KaraLynn
10 years ago

Here are some new pictures of my garden that I took last night and this morning. The front flower bed has really filled in and is now a riot of colors!

Comments (20)

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of the musical notes clerodendron. This one really shows how the plant got it's name.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the daylilies are still blooming.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My native yellow canna that's growing in a basket in the pond. This has really taken off this year, I've already had to thin it.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some candycane curcuma ginger.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Great photos. Your garden looks lovely. :o)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Kara, it is beautiful! I especially love the musical notes clerodendron. I have never seen that plant before!

Carol in Jacksonville

• mrs_tlc
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!

• gardencpa
    10 years ago

Looks fabulous!

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

Your front garden looks so interesting, Karalynn. I couldn't just walk to your front door...I'd have to step and look left and then right, step again and look left and then right, etc.

The colorful coleus backdrop really makes the musical notes pop. And I'm partial to that yellow canna - it looks like the German iris I grew up north.

Thanks for posting your pictures, We gardeners love the visuals! - June

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Love the English garden look - just my style.

I''ve never sen anyone have success with musical notes - good going!!!

Hester

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your welcome, I'm happy you all have enjoyed the pictures! When I left work this morning I just paused and looked at the garden and felt the need to share what I saw.

Hester, it's funny that you say that about the musical notes. I don't do anything special with the plant and it really isn't planted in the best spot but each year it seems to do better than the last.

June, there are some days when I have a hard time getting down the sidewalk without constantly stopping to admire all the flowers and butterflies. And on the days that the hummingbird visits the garden while I'm outside I just stop and watch it until it flies off, no matter how long it takes!

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

• sharbear50
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous! Love the Musical Notes too. I've never seen them or heard of them before.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Absolutely spectacular Kara! Sorry I could not make your swap; I really wanted to see what you've done in person :-(

Tom

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the musical notes a few years ago at a plant sale at Kanapaha garden up in Gainesville. I'd never come across it before and haven't seen it since!

Tom, I wish you could have come as well! Maybe next time.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I love the ginger and envy your blooming 'Musical Notes'. I have a very small 'Musical' that hasn't bloomed yet. Glad to see it is hardy in your garden. I guess I will plant mine in the ground here once its a little larger. It says hardy in 9a but I always worry because sometimes we are more of an 8b lol.
    I can only think of two online nurseries that carry them right now.
    ~Lynn

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 10:25

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, I'm in a cold pocket in the winter and when you add that I have no large trees in the front yard during the winter the temps in my yard tend to be slightly colder then in surrounding areas. I consider my yard to border between 8b and 9a. My musical notes freezes to the ground each year but I think it's spot in the middle of the bed, closely surrounded by other plants helps to protect it's root system. I've read that this plant can produce seeds but I haven't noticed any on mine but maybe it is a sterile variety. I'm going to try to root some cuttings this year so that I can add some more plants to other areas of the garden. I really like having that pop of pure white amongst the colorfull plants!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I've had my musical notes for so long, I've forgotten where I got it. It looks like you are growing yours in full sun. I have mine in partial shade, I guess somehow that's what I thought it needed. How does yours do in full sun?

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine seems to be doing great in the sun. The information I found online states that it prefers full sun.

• leelee_2008
    10 years ago

lovely garden and path!