Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Memorial Tree for Landscape / Central Florida

meadow_lark
10 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for residential tree, a gift for my Mother-in-Law, in memory of my Father-In-Law, who passed away on Saturday... While we are down here, we are going to run to Lukas Nursery and see what they have. I know that they can make suggestions, but I would like to get input from you who have experience with trees that are actually in your yards!

Their yard:

- formerly an orange grove
- zero lot line
- small back yard with wooden privacy fence
- north side of house
- dry, expect when it rains... (The yard has an incline, and the tree will be planted "on or above" the incline) Water drains very quickly from the area

Looking for:

- tree (not shrub that could become a tree)
- probably small to medium height, due to small yard
- no mess (Mom is in her mid 80's and cannot go out in the yard)
- full to partial sun
- water needs - something that does NOT need to be babied for any length of time
- medium growth
- no fruit
- blooms okay, as long as they don't drop seed that "sprout"
- size of leaves not important
- not anything too spreading, as we don't want branches about the house, especially during bad storms
- no evergreens or conifers

Thanks so much...

Comments (6)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

The link below provides a handy 'tree selection' process. Hopefully, this will help select a tree that meets your requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree selection

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

The issue might be the watering bit. From everything I've read, almost any tree will need to be 'babied' for its first year in-ground until it becomes established. Especially for the first few weeks. Planting one 'now', you might be able to get away without providing extra irrigation as it is our wet season. So you can cross your fingers and hope mother nature keeps it adequately watered. But if we get a dry spell...

As overused as they are, Crape Myrtle is what springs to mind for me. But when you go to a nursery looking for one, make sure you are getting a tree form and not one of the clumping shrub forms. And yes, they are actual 'tree' Myrtles and not shrub Myrles that can be trained into trees. The following article has a table of the different varieties of Crape Myrtles and what kind of forms they grow in. Some might argue that Crape Myrtles are not low-maintenance since you 'have to clip off all the spent flower pods', but I would argue that you don't HAVE to. Many people don't trim these off and their trees still look perfectly fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtles

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Various manufacturers sell tree watering bags that slowly release the water and keep the root zone moist. You only fill the bag once a week. Also protects against sun scald and critters that might find your tree's bark tasty.

This might be a solution for the watering requirement, though.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Why not get a nice crape myrtle? We are in the PRIME zone for them - they need absolutely nothing to look beautiful - they are a no-brainer in Florida. Get a tree, in a variety that grows to the size you said you wanted, and it will bloom every year right around the time your father-in-law passed away. It would be so nice in his memory. There are so many nice colors from which to choose. Natchez (white), Muskogee (pale purple), Miami (hot pink) or Tuscarora (watermelon red-pink) all have good tree forms. See link below and pay attention to size and shape.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtle varieties by height

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I was also thinking of crape myrtle. You need something tough because a dead or sickly memorial tree is a terrible sight. I have a Natchez and I like it a lot. It grows into a tree shape with very minimal pruning required.

• palmcityfl
    10 years ago

The Arbor Day Foundation has a wonderful program for planting trees as a memorial for a deceased person. They will plant trees in an American forest and send a card in the name of the giver. Here's the website-
    http://www.arborday.org/shopping/tictim/TIMSample.cfm

I learned years ago that we shouldn't plant trees for our benefit, but for the benefit of generations that will come after us. If you want to plant a memorial tree on your site, there is none better for your area than the Southern Live Oak (quercus virginiana), which has an average lifespan of 500 years. It will become a majestic and magnificent tree, a fitting tribute to your loved one. The Angel Oak in Charleston, SC survived Hurricane Hugo and is estimated to be 1,500 years old.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022