Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetradition

What's wrong with my blueberry bush?

thetradition
10 years ago

Okay, this is my first season with blueberries. In the photo from left to right are Emerald, SharpBlue and Jewel.

As you can see, the SharpBlue isn't looking so good. Interestingly, it seemed to be doing the best in the spring, but now, not so much.

What could be wrong? The bed is filled with pine fines and peat moss, covered with pine needles for mulch. They all get the same water and fertilizer. Should I dig down and see if the roots are bound up? Any other ideas?

This post was edited by TheTradition on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 10:13

Comments (11)

• thetradition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A closer look at the struggling bush. What could be wrong with it?

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

I thought someone had answered your question with the extra post. I'll put this back on top and hopefully someone can answer your question.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

The bushes are planted pretty close to each other and they have a tree to deal with.
    To me it appears quite clearly to be nitrogen starved, in fact all 3 are starved. The reason the other two are not as light could simply be the difference in plant type or more likely it is due to that plant being in the middle so it has competition on both sides for nutrients.

A good sign the plants are getting all the energy they need is large dark green leaves and new....I call them bull shoots coming from the base of the plant. You can see one nice size new shoot on the plant on the right but that is it. On young plants you want to see 2 per plant minimum and they should be pencil thick.

I would strongly suggest you get some water soluble ammonium SULFATE not ammonium nitrate. Use 1 tsp per gallon of water and do that weekly giving 2 gallons per plant. Make sure the plants are not dry when you give it. The plant should green up pretty fast.

The ammonium sulfate is 21-0-0. For those that say what about the other needed elements? Ignore them for now. The BB need the nitrogen constantly but only need the P and K now and then, same goes for all plants. For inground plants that are mulched there is generally enough native P and K anyway. I have not given my 200 or so in ground BB any P or K yet this year just nitrogen weekly since mid February. Potted plants are different and need more P and K added more often.

One of the problems with our "soil" is fertilizer tends to wash right through. Ammonium sulfate clings tightly to the soil and resists being washed out.

Here is a picture of what you want your leaves to look like. This is on one of my bushes. While those leaves may look big last year Floralcity Lou had leaves on his potted plants that were even bigger. This year I have him beat :) as he was overrun with new projects.

{{gwi:72471}}

Bet that is more than you wanted to know lol.

• thetradition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just find it odd that two look great, but one is struggling. Could be the variety, but all of these are supposed to do well in Central Florida. Guess I'll dig it up and try to see if that reveals anything.

Do nematodes attack blueberries?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Digging the plant up in July is a very BAD idea.....you will just stress the plant more. The other two don't look great, they just look better lol.

If you would like I can forward pictures of your plants to Dr. Lyrene for his opinion. He invented Emerald and Jewel (as well as about 30 other varieties) not sure if Sharpblue is his or not as I don't grow it.

Nematodes do not attack blueberries.

• thetradition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bamboo. I was hoping you'd chime in! I missed your earlier reply (we posted at about the same time).

Actually, I wish I knew more! I've been using azalea fertilier, a little bit once a month (obviously, not enough). I'll try the ammonium sulphate.

Thanks again.

• thetradition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have a Sunshine Blue in a pot that appears to be growing vigorously, but the leaves aren't as dark as your picture. I expect that the leaves on that variety will never be as big as the ones in your picture because the variety is supposed to be on the small side? Anyway, should I hit that with the ammonium sulphate, too? Or continue using the azalea fertilizer? You stated that plants in pots need the P & K?

• thetradition
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Six years later... BOOM!

I am getting more blueberries than I can handle!

The middle bush died way back when I first posted in this thread, but the other two have done well.

I never got much of a yield from these bushes because of squirrel and bird predation before the berries were ripe enough to pick.

Well... THIS year the stars have aligned! I have a MASSIVE crop. I've been picking them every two days or so. I have a full gallon sized bag of them in the freezer, with at least that many still ripening on the bushes.

I'm dreaming of blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, blueberry smoothies, blueberry pie...

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Awesome, congrats on the big harvest. What is your fertilizer and how are you applying and what are you doing for soil PH?

• poetie
    5 years ago

coffee grounds are men's best friends. I'll sprinkle mine around my blueberry bushes. These days a bit of a job because of the whole K-cup thing. But I collect all mine and on a lousy afternoon just sit with a little knife and cut them open and empty in a bucket. Sprinkle around the plants and done. No waste because you already drank the coffee and the grounds go to the plants or compost and you can even use the cups as a seed starter.