Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slopfrog

'One-Stop' Vegetable Seed Source for Florida Gardens?

slopfrog
12 years ago

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a vegetable seed source for Florida gardens? I'm looking for a place that has stuff specifically for Florida (and tells you that this variety is good for FL), sells lots of different vegetable types, and sells to the public in small quantities. I am having a real hard time finding this combination! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

Please let us all know if you ever do find this magical mystery place.

Lou

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

Lol, Lou - you beat me to it!

• slopfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hah, I guess I'll have to go into business! Too bad I hardly know what I'm doing! :)

• whgille
    12 years ago

Slopfrog

The best place to look first would be your local feed store, you can usually buy small amounts of seeds that do well in Florida for a very good price and no shipping costs.

Silvia

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

There are very few places that cater towards Florida growers you kinda just have to look for items that say short day, hot tolerant, loves heat and humidity etc.. My favorite seed source is Bakers Creek (www.rareseeds.com) i have good luck growing here with almost all seeds i have gotten from them if planted during the right time.. my Blog might help with that!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog.. Click on top tab for Florida Planting Guide

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

This is a start to your data base.

The Pepper Gal
    P.O. Box 23006
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307 - 3306

954-537-5540 (Office)
    Seed Types: peppers
    Order Types: mail
    Catalogs Available: seedlist
    Seller Type: retail
    Notes: 200 varieties of hot, mild, and ornamental pepper seeds.

Tomato Growers Supply Co
    P.O. Box 60015
    Fort Myers, FL 33906
    888-768-3476 (FAX)
    239-768-1119 (Office)
    888-478-7333 (orders) (Toll-Free)
    Web:http://www.tomatogrowers.com
    Seed Types: heirloom tomato, pepper seed
    Order Types: mail, phone, fax
    Catalogs Available: on-line, print

Kilgore Seed Co.
    1400 W. First St.
    Sanford, FL 32771
    407-323-6630 (FAX)
    Order Types: mail
    Catalogs Available: print ($1.00, refundable)
    Notes: Primarily veg. Seeds for FL, Gulf Coast, sub-tropics, tropics.

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

And don't forget the "Exchange" page here. People are very generous with open-pollinated (heirloom) seeds.

Hybrid seeds are scarcer since they can only be store-bought but not many personal gardens can grow all the seeds from purchase so they too can be gifted.

Just put out a request. (Make sure you have your email address enabled here).
    I have quite a few heirloom tomato seeds but no hybrids at the moment. Headed to ECHO in Ft. Myers soon and will give their seed rack a look.

Denise

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange specializes in heirloom veggies for the Southeastern US...

Here is a link that might be useful: SESE

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

I just ordered from Southern Exposure. This will be my first time with them, but I liked their selection. I did not have good luck with seeds at the local places this past year - very low germination rates.

• slopfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody, these are some good resources. Waaaaaaay better than the big box stores, who just love to sell all kinds of things that never have the slightest chance of growing!

• saldut
    11 years ago

OMG- didn't think KILGORE was still in business! are they really still there? years ago I used to get all my seeds from them and they were great....but they don't seem to have a web-site? tell me it's true! sally

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Is this still the "old" Kilgore from Lake City? It's been so long I have my doubts....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

I don't think ANY seed co. is gonna have EVERYTHING we want, but EON seeds is here in the state (Hallendale) & sells all kinds of seeds for fairly low prices....

Here is a link that might be useful: EONSeed

• saldut
    11 years ago

Tom- strange that KILGORE has just a FAX # listed.. they used to have the best yellow pole beans....sally

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

For many years I have been buying most of my seeds from Johnny's in Maine. I have been mostly gardening in the cool months in central Florida and have found their seeds do very well here during those times. They have an amazing assortment of seeds - just check out their lettuce varieties. And, they are employee owned - not mention reasonable prices.
    On the other hand, due to saving seeds and swaps, this year I have only had to buy spinach, carrots, swiss chard, cucumbers, and granex onion seeds this year. The onions were from the local feed store (that cuts out Parks). Too bad onion seeds tend to have poor long term viability. I always have more left over than I plant.

• tommyplyer
    11 years ago

the best place I've found is organic sanctuary out of Geneva Florida all grown on the property and certified organic
    Tommy

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert