Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'One-Stop' Vegetable Seed Source for Florida Gardens?

Posted by slopfrog 9b - Brevard Co, FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 11:05

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a vegetable seed source for Florida gardens? I'm looking for a place that has stuff specifically for Florida (and tells you that this variety is good for FL), sells lots of different vegetable types, and sells to the public in small quantities. I am having a real hard time finding this combination! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'One-Stop' Vegetable Seed Source for Florida Gardens?

Please let us all know if you ever do find this magical mystery place.

Lou

o

Lol, Lou - you beat me to it!

o

• Posted by slopfrog 9b - Brevard Co, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 14:15

Hah, I guess I'll have to go into business! Too bad I hardly know what I'm doing! :)

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 15:16

Slopfrog

The best place to look first would be your local feed store, you can usually buy small amounts of seeds that do well in Florida for a very good price and no shipping costs.

Silvia

o

There are very few places that cater towards Florida growers you kinda just have to look for items that say short day, hot tolerant, loves heat and humidity etc.. My favorite seed source is Bakers Creek (www.rareseeds.com) i have good luck growing here with almost all seeds i have gotten from them if planted during the right time.. my Blog might help with that!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog.. Click on top tab for Florida Planting Guide

o

This is a start to your data base.

The Pepper Gal
P.O. Box 23006
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307 - 3306

954-537-5540 (Office)
Seed Types: peppers
Order Types: mail
Catalogs Available: seedlist
Seller Type: retail
Notes: 200 varieties of hot, mild, and ornamental pepper seeds.

Tomato Growers Supply Co
P.O. Box 60015
Fort Myers, FL 33906
888-768-3476 (FAX)
239-768-1119 (Office)
888-478-7333 (orders) (Toll-Free)
Web:http://www.tomatogrowers.com
Seed Types: heirloom tomato, pepper seed
Order Types: mail, phone, fax
Catalogs Available: on-line, print

Kilgore Seed Co.
1400 W. First St.
Sanford, FL 32771
407-323-6630 (FAX)
Order Types: mail
Catalogs Available: print ($1.00, refundable)
Notes: Primarily veg. Seeds for FL, Gulf Coast, sub-tropics, tropics.

o

And don't forget the "Exchange" page here. People are very generous with open-pollinated (heirloom) seeds.

Hybrid seeds are scarcer since they can only be store-bought but not many personal gardens can grow all the seeds from purchase so they too can be gifted.

Just put out a request. (Make sure you have your email address enabled here).
I have quite a few heirloom tomato seeds but no hybrids at the moment. Headed to ECHO in Ft. Myers soon and will give their seed rack a look.

Denise

o

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange specializes in heirloom veggies for the Southeastern US...

Here is a link that might be useful: SESE

o

I just ordered from Southern Exposure. This will be my first time with them, but I liked their selection. I did not have good luck with seeds at the local places this past year - very low germination rates.

o

• Posted by slopfrog 9b - Brevard Co, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 13:59

Thanks everybody, these are some good resources. Waaaaaaay better than the big box stores, who just love to sell all kinds of things that never have the slightest chance of growing!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 17:15

OMG- didn't think KILGORE was still in business! are they really still there? years ago I used to get all my seeds from them and they were great....but they don't seem to have a web-site? tell me it's true! sally

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:05

Is this still the "old" Kilgore from Lake City? It's been so long I have my doubts....

o

I don't think ANY seed co. is gonna have EVERYTHING we want, but EON seeds is here in the state (Hallendale) & sells all kinds of seeds for fairly low prices....

Here is a link that might be useful: EONSeed

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 16:48

Tom- strange that KILGORE has just a FAX # listed.. they used to have the best yellow pole beans....sally

o

For many years I have been buying most of my seeds from Johnny's in Maine. I have been mostly gardening in the cool months in central Florida and have found their seeds do very well here during those times. They have an amazing assortment of seeds - just check out their lettuce varieties. And, they are employee owned - not mention reasonable prices.
On the other hand, due to saving seeds and swaps, this year I have only had to buy spinach, carrots, swiss chard, cucumbers, and granex onion seeds this year. The onions were from the local feed store (that cuts out Parks). Too bad onion seeds tend to have poor long term viability. I always have more left over than I plant.

o

the best place I've found is organic sanctuary out of Geneva Florida all grown on the property and certified organic
Tommy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here