Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with magnolia tree please...

Posted by loves2read DFW TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 11:10

We bought house south of Sarasota two years ago--built in 1978--there is a magnolia tree in backyard...not sure of the type...
When we bought the tree was very bushy vs tall--had not been trimmed in years--decades maybe...
There was what looked like fungus on the trunk (photo 1) and branches and brown spots on leaves...posted in next comment
the yard guy we were using said that was because there was so much rain in our area...
We have been pruning branches from the interior to help the tree air out and let more light inside...
the condition is about the same however...

We haven't really found a "nursery" in our area to take a sample to for info--mainly WalMart and Lowe's around us and don't trust their garden people to know anything...

Appreciate insight/suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photo of leaves

And this is photo of leaf cluster--some of them have more damage than others with bigger spots or black tips...

o
RE: Need help with magnolia tree please...

• Posted by jofus 9b/10a Englewood, Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 8:29

I don't blame you for being concerned, I think there are few trees as majestic as the Southern Magnolia. I had one planted on my front lawn here in SW Florida 13 months ago, - just outside my screened lanai, A 20 ft tall gem that is now loaded with foot wide, intensely aromatic white blossoms that draw the attention of everyone who walks by. IMHO, well worth the effort and expense.
It too has a mild case of fungus on the very bottom leaves, something I plan to eliminate soon by giving it a single spraying of copper sulfate, ( on both sides of the leaves as well as the trunk ). Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart all sell the plastic jugs of sulfate as well as the spray bottle that screws onto the garden hose. In your case three sprayings may be needed, each one two weeks apart.
My best advice, not an expert, - perhaps other contributors may have a different solution. Good luck !

This post was edited by jofus on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 8:35

o
RE: Need help with magnolia tree please...

The lichens on the bark are harmless so don't worry about them. With Florida's humidity compounded by the wet summer, fungus is inevitable on the leaves of many plants. It shouldn't kill the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here