Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
an_ill_mannered_ache

magic mountain

anyone else grown it? first time for me this year. what a great tomato! as advertised. very healthy plants, and tasty.

and it just keeps producing...

id rank it up there with sungold and juliet.

Here is a link that might be useful: magic mountain on TGS

Comments (6)

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Boy, you have not posted in a LONG TIME...nice to see you back too, I have not been around much lately either :-(

It was a dud in the fall and spring over here in St. Pete just off the bay, probably didn't my humidity :-(

Tom

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Michael - I have my mountain magic seeds setting right here in front of me. I had planned on trying them this fall since the description boasts of disease resistance. I have a message on Silvia's post for you, about bees.

Tom - If you try them again, let us know if they work for you.

Christine

• featherhoof
    10 years ago

Hi Michael! Hi Tom! Hi mom! Mom, I'm glad you ordered some. They sound awesome. Do any of you know of a good paste tomato for the fall? I am looking to make fresh pizza sauce with it.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Tom - If you try them again, let us know if they work for you.

Christine - being right off Tampa Bay I have a couple of rules about trying new tomato varieties. If they are duds the first time in the fall they don't usually get a second chance. If they do fairly well the first time they do get a second chance, and a repeat performance gets a third chance and from there I consider it a good performer in my little microclimate. MM was a dud the first time around here but had such accolades I gave it a second try in the spring and it was still a dud here, so I have to conclude it either didn't like my high humidity or my salt environment. The lake behind my garden is brackish and only EIGHT feet from the garden, and the garden is only 100 yards from a bayou to the bay so this is definitely a very challenging environment for vegetable gardening and not representative of what most folks endure, but I had to throw this out for folks living close to the coast.

I can't wait to hear if others inland have had the success Michael has had.

Mikey - sure nice to see you posting again, how about coming over to my house and spraying my garden ;-)

Tom

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Tom - I guess that just goes to show that what variety goes very well for one person may not to well for another. However, in the case of beefmaster, it's a winner for me also. I just couldn't believe how huge they got. :)

Christine

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi All

I grew the Magic Mountain tomato for a few seasons, even in the greenhouse one time, it is a well producer and disease resistant but unless it is very ripe it is okay. I don't grow it for me anymore but for the community garden and they never give any feedback other that they want 1 small tomato and the rest big tomatoes for the season. So I always grow one for them.
    Tomatoes at the island here in Jamaica are always medium size, red but good flavor, at least they are ripe...

March 2012, the small ones are Mountain Magic

Silvia