Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camelia seedling?

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 11:47

I'm known for collecting seeds, forgetting what they are and then just throwing them into the garden to see what sprouts. I've gotten some interesting surprises doing this. In the past I have thrown dozens of what I know are camellia seeds under the gum tree without much hope of any of them sprouting but recently I noticed this lone seedling that looks like a camellia to me growing at the edge of the flowerbed. Does anyone else think this is a camellia or do you think it's something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camelia seedling?

Doesn't look like my Camelias. Here's a pic showing the leaf pattern.... sorry it's blurry, the wind was blowing.

o

... and here's one showing the serrated edges of the leaves on mine.
Keep in mind, I only know about my own particular trees...

Hope this helps?

(Edited to include the photo... duh)

This post was edited by shear_stupidity on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:49

o

Looks like a camellia to me. There are three different species of camellia with thousands of different named cultivars within them.

I guess you'll know for sure when and if it flowers. It'll also be a "new" variety that didn't exist before, but only time will tell if it will have unique or desireable characteristics.

I'd let it grow and see what you get!

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 20:28

I went and looked at the camelias that the seeds came from and they all have mildly serated edges like yours does so I guess that means it's unlikely that the seedling is a camellia. Now I just have to figure out what it really is. Until then I think I'll pot it up and keep it with the rest of the plants I haven't found a home for. I was really hoping it was a camellia!

o

Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 20:29

I went and looked at the camelias that the seeds came from and they all have mildly serated edges like yours does so I guess that means it's unlikely that the seedling is a camellia. Now I just have to figure out what it really is. Until then I think I'll pot it up and keep it with the rest of the plants I haven't found a home for. I was really hoping it was a camellia!

o

That seedling looks like a Ligustrum seedling to me.

o

Do you have a wax leaf ligustrum nearby? Looks like that to me.

o

Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 0:28

I don't have any ligustrum growing in my yard nor do my immediate neighbors but that doesn't mean a bird couldn't have carried in a seed from somewhere farther away. The leaves do look similar which means the plant will have to be moved. The spot it's currently in is not right for a ligustrum.

o

Looks like a Surinam Cherry seedling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here