Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ponytail Palm problem

Posted by kim211 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:56

Purchased two "double" ponytail palms 2 years ago at a big-box store and transplanted them into large ceramic pots that sit on either side of our patio, and raised on pavers for drainage. Full sun all day. They did great until this year. One palm in each container both have the new center growth broken off ... like someone cut them with a knife. I can't find any information at all searching the internet. I have no idea what is happening and am wondering if I should take them out of the pots and plant them in the ground. Any help is appreciated! I should mention, I do not have a green thumb. Also, all four palms have a lot of yellow leaves, but I see no bug infestation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ponytail Palm problem

In my experience, pony tail palms are really sensitive to too much water and/or having too much mulch near their trunks. Have you mulched them recently? Have they gotten more rain than they need? That might leave them vulnerable to bugs/slugs.
I had one in a pot for several years and put it out into the yard about a year ago. One of the three stems went great guns. It's four-feet high now, from six inches. The other two did not like their conditions and I think both have died.
I do think they're really sensitive to getting too wet or having mulch too close to their trunks/being planted too deep.

o

Something chewed on the new growth. Probably snails. As far as the overall condition of the plants, make sure the pots are well-drained and the soil is mostly sand. Ponytail Palms suffer quickly from too much water.

o

Thanks for responses. Didn't mean to disappear; I went away for 2 weeks.

No, they have no mulch; but we used potting soil and the original dirt they came in. Have had a lot of heavy rains, but no puddling, so seem to be draining ok.

I will just watch them and see what happens, and will decide what to do next spring.

Thank you!

o

Wondering if lubber grasshoppers like that tender new growth?

Alternately, some caterpillars or other insects can get into the center of plants & a small nibble becomes very dramatic-looking as the leaves enlarge & emerge….

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here