Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Brogdon Avocado Ripening

whgille
14 years ago

This Brogdon Avocado was planted two years ago and it survived the bad winter that we had.

This morning, Tiny was checking the avocado fruits and found a black avocado to my surprise.

As I investigated further, I discovered more fruits changing color.

I think this one is for a guacamole, wouldn't you agree?

Happy Gardening,

Silvia

Comments (16)

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

silvia, how many avocados on a tree that size? (i'm looking to add one more tree, maybe two, to my garden...)

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Michael
    I did not count the avocados yet. But, just from looks alone, is a good amount.

Judging from the taste, is a sure winner, best I tried so far in Florida. Better than Haas, in my opinion.

If you want to add another tree. Do you like Sugar Apple? I have one that is also fruiting and did well with the freeze, not covered. Avocado was not covered either.

Silvia

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

Nice looking fruit. My Brogdon has been in the ground for five years now. There are about 35-40 avocados on it; I'll be sure to check them ripening. Mine did not ripen until August last year.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

cool. i think i'll get a brogdon, then. i've heard they're tasty. there's a west-indies lady at the market who always has nice ones for sale. i've never tried a sugar apple... what's it like?

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Billbrandi
    Thanks. Nice to have a lot of avocados that are tasty.

Michael
    I have a mix of a Sugar Apple and a Chirimoya. An Atemoya.
    We love Chirimoyas, Cheryl already told me ,"those fruits on the tree are mine". To us is one of the best fruits anyone can have, for Cheryl the best!
    I have Chirimoya seeds from far away, if you want to start from seed, let me know.
    My fruiting tree, is also 2 years old. Remember, all my plantings are 2 years or less.

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

Silvia---Your brogdon avocado tree looks so attractive as well as productive. My brogdon is in part sun so it isn't growing as fast as yours. I got mine from the lady at the DeLand Farmers Market, the one Michael just mentioned. You are located in a much warmer area than Michael and I are. I have a young atemoya growing in a pot.

Michael, if I ever get any fruit I will give you one to try.

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christine
    Thank you. If it is colder there you might have better luck with the chirimoya, it grows in colder places.
    It is like tomatoes from the supermarket,the taste is just not there when you buy it in the store. I saw it in Whole Foods for $8, and I am sure it would not taste it like tree ripened.
    Silvia

• babalu_aye
    14 years ago

Silvia,

I'm envious! That will be perfect for guacamole.

How do you keep the squirrels from stealing all your avocados? I've got a huge, ancient avocado tree that each year starts out with thousands of little avocados in the spring. But the squirrels love to feast on them while they're still tiny. This year, for the 2nd year in a row, there are no avocados left. I know it is the squirrels getting them because I've seen them up in that tree, picking little avocados, taking a single bite out of them, then dropping them to the ground.

John

• countrynest
    14 years ago

Silvia,you always amaze me. Those avocados look terrific.
    The information about the chirimoya has inspire me.
    My mother brought back, from south Florida, several seeds of all kind of fruit trees. I told her that it gets too cold,up here,for them. I think I'll plant the seeds in pots and let them grow. When they are too big for my greenhouse,I'll plant them in the ground and protect them
    when it gets cold. It will be an experiment.
    The plant that you gave me at Melissa's swap,mora something, is growing nicely. How old do they have to be
    for fruiting.
    Felix

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Felix, the chirimoya is one of the tastiest fruits. You have a good chance with the seeds having the greenhouse.
    I do have a lot of plants from warmer places, when it gets cold I moved them to the porch.
    My father used to make a dessert for me made of "babaco", mountain papaya. Maybe I will try to grow that one too in the future.
    And about the mora, I really don't know, because we always had it wild in the house. It is in the same family of blackberries, so I would think it fruits in a year or two. We will see, I have other plants as an experiment too. I will let you know.

Silvia

• Richard Hood
    8 years ago

Just bought an old bromeliad farm with so many different trees that I'm trying to still identify. But 1 of the 4 avocado varieties in a Brogdon and has produced over 300 avocados It's a war with the squirrels and they are winning. I like these avocados very much use them for guacamole mostly due to that very paper thin skin.

• whgille
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Richard

Congrats on your new purchase. Since all the pictures are gone, here is one from today, I don't have squirrels to bother the fruit and I did not count them, they were a lot!

Brogdon avocado tree, productive and tasty

And I picked the last of the avocados, the season is over, it is persimmon time.

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    8 years ago

Richard - try the squirrelinator 2000....works like a charm. ;-)

• Richard Hood
    8 years ago

Thanks, I'll look that up now!

• Richard Hood
    8 years ago

Problem is over 2 acres and the squirrels have too many trees to get anywhere they want.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting